• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Feedback on 4x4 Labs/BIO Rear Bumpers?

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The spindles were easy to line up as the top of the bumper is flat and the swings are square tube in a flat plane so it was easy to tack and clamp all of that. The design is pretty forgiving of a little error there as well but it was easy to nail that part since the main section was firmed up by then and my confidence was up overall.
Of bigger concern for me on the spindles was weld strength and any heat damage to the material or bearing surfaces... but it's held up to lots of rough use and vibration (2015 build for me) and failures seem to be exceedingly rare. I welded it from inside and out, everywhere I could get the MIG gun.

On spindles I've had a few guys say their bearings rusted up so mine are 100% packed to the gills with grease to eliminate any air space where moisture might condense and no problems yet... these don't run at any speed so no risk of overpacking IMHO.

cbelgard

Rising Sun Member
Well Brian and I are both pretty well and committed to getting bumpers but are now throwing this out to anyone else. We will likely call the order in within the next few days, but if anyone else is looking for a DIY bumper kit and wants to go in on the order with us just let us know.

We will call 4x4 labs once we have an idea of who wants to buy bumpers and talk it over with them to see if there is any flex in the shipping.
@AlpineAccess I’m ready to go in and order sliders for my 62. I’ll order tonight or tomorrow morning, pm sent. Thanks!

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
@AlpineAccess I’m ready to go in and order sliders for my 62. I’ll order tonight or tomorrow morning, pm sent. Thanks!
Ah here you are. I just got an email from 4x4 labs about your order. Finding out if I can post their code on our forum. Are you interested in getting in on shipping too? If we can find a commercial address with a loading dock or forklift I think they will stack it all on one pallet.

cbelgard

Rising Sun Member
Ah here you are. I just got an email from 4x4 labs about your order. Finding out if I can post their code on our forum. Are you interested in getting in on shipping too? If we can find a commercial address with a loading dock or forklift I think they will stack it all on one pallet.
Yep I am interested in getting in on shipping too. Let me know if you figure out a commercial dock, I’ll check a couple possibilities I might have.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
The spindles were easy to line up as the top of the bumper is flat and the swings are square tube in a flat plane so it was easy to tack and clamp all of that. The design is pretty forgiving of a little error there as well but it was easy to nail that part since the main section was firmed up by then and my confidence was up overall.
Of bigger concern for me on the spindles was weld strength and any heat damage to the material or bearing surfaces... but it's held up to lots of rough use and vibration (2015 build for me) and failures seem to be exceedingly rare. I welded it from inside and out, everywhere I could get the MIG gun.

On spindles I've had a few guys say their bearings rusted up so mine are 100% packed to the gills with grease to eliminate any air space where moisture might condense and no problems yet... these don't run at any speed so no risk of overpacking IMHO.

Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered my bumper, should be a fun project.

What did paint it with and how did it hold up?

What springs did you end up going with? Looking at OME heavies from Slee but open to other options.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I was already planning to move on from my slee heavies to 863s. Now with bumper, drawers, and rtt I might have to go 864s

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Andy, how was it to get the spindles lined up well? That seems like something you want really accurate.
I'm not Andy but getting the spindles to line up on mine was not an issue at all. I did have some fitment issues with my frame, but Luke basically said in various emails that all the issues I had were common and what pretty much everyone has with little differences from one rig to another.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
I painted my 4x4 labs bumper with rattle can rustoleum, so far so good 8 years on.

I saw upthread where someone was talking about sliders. After I got my 60 I wandered around Slickrock asking other 60 series owners where they got their sliders and what they thought about them. One guy had Trail Gear sliders that were intended for a Taco application but fit a 60 series perfectly. You do have to cut the stringers to fit and weld yourself and paint yourself, but $160 for a pair delivered was less than if I bought the raw steel myself. Super happy with my Trail Gear Taco sliders on my 60!

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member