Feedback on 4x4 Labs/BIO Rear Bumpers?

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Anyone build a 4x4 labs bumper for a 100? I was leaning heavily towards the BIO bumper because I didn't like the previous unfinished look of the 4x4 labs bumper (on the rear wing area by the swing arm spindle). I just saw that Luke changed that design with a fill-in plate and a gusset and that addressed the looks issue for me.

Know the 4x4 labs are a big hit with the 80 crowd. Has anyone built a 4x4labs bumper on here and what is your opinion on them?

The cost savings between the 4L and BIO isn't really that big of a difference once I factor in gas and wire, needless to say time...but I'm interested in getting a longer project in over the winter and think this could be fun.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I have built a 4x4 labs for my 100 and would absolutely do it again. (mine is the old style)
BIO is a high quality business and Mike the owner is a great guy.

Not much to add I guess... you can't go wrong either way. If you get into a 4xLabs build and have any questions hit me up for sure!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
If you are wanting to take on a welding project then it sounds like you already made up your mind... all the 4x4 lab bumpers I've seen in person look really well done, Luke's a pretty stand-up guy. I also know Mike and am running his BIO bumpers on my FJ60, so not sure you could go wrong either way here.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I recently finished my 4x4Labs weld it kit and posted in the "what have you done this week thread." I had a ton of fun building it and it came out great even for being my first project. Looks awesome too. A+ would buy again.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I recently finished my 4x4Labs weld it kit and posted in the "what have you done this week thread." I had a ton of fun building it and it came out great even for being my first project. Looks awesome too. A+ would buy again.
So you could help me build one at the shop is what your are saying.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Certainly could save a little chunk on this. What is your timeline?

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
No real rush, but was thinking of going off the deep end in the next month or two if I'm going to buy one. No idea TBH if it would reduce shipping enough or not, but might be worth a try.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Sounds in the right ball park for me. I gotta do some justifying, but I think it can be done. Saving even $40-50 on shipping just helps me convince myself

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Sounds in the right ball park for me. I gotta do some justifying, but I think it can be done. Saving even $40-50 on shipping just helps me convince myself
Shoot me a PM, we can work something out. The convincing probably needs to be done on 4x4 Labs side :)

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
I have built a 4x4 labs for my 100 and would absolutely do it again. (mine is the old style)
BIO is a high quality business and Mike the owner is a great guy.

Not much to add I guess... you can't go wrong either way. If you get into a 4xLabs build and have any questions hit me up for sure!

Thanks you! Any parts of the install that stand out as particularly problematic?

J1000

Rising Sun Member
4x4Labs is definitely flexible on shipping for the kits. If you call they will refund you some of the shipping because the website charges the same for a kit with no swings as they do for a fully built with swings.

So you could help me build one at the shop is what your are saying.
For sure! Just finished Allens the other week.

BvG07ka.jpg

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
4x4Labs is definitely flexible on shipping for the kits. If you call they will refund you some of the shipping because the website charges the same for a kit with no swings as they do for a fully built with swings.

BvG07ka.jpg
@J1000 looks like a fun time!

Did you get any swing outs? I didn't see any in your pictures, but I did see the spindle holes. Which I assume means you can add them later...

J1000

Rising Sun Member
No I didn't, the 4x4Labs comes with the holes and little circles that you can weld in to fill the holes that's what I did:

uSE2A1X.jpg

bGvvAcp.jpg

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Well Brian and I are both pretty well and committed to getting bumpers but are now throwing this out to anyone else. We will likely call the order in within the next few days, but if anyone else is looking for a DIY bumper kit and wants to go in on the order with us just let us know.

We will call 4x4 labs once we have an idea of who wants to buy bumpers and talk it over with them to see if there is any flex in the shipping.

I recognize the BIO bumpers aren't THAT much more expensive depending on how you option them out, and they are prebuilt and powder coated, so this would be more about the project and getting some use out of my welder than a massive savings overall.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+

BvG07ka.jpg

That shop looks awesome. Where'd you get the shorty tank?

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Thanks you! Any parts of the install that stand out as particularly problematic?
Nothing was particularly difficult, just lots of it. I found one of the main challenges was just deciding I had a good fit and to have the confidence to weld it out. Spent lots of time shifting things around to get it all just right before tacking things. I just didn't have a good sense for when I had it good enough but overall fit is great so I'd say I could have been more fast and loose with fit up.

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Nothing was particularly difficult, just lots of it. I found one of the main challenges was just deciding I had a good fit and to have the confidence to weld it out. Spent lots of time shifting things around to get it all just right before tacking things. I just didn't have a good sense for when I had it good enough but overall fit is great so I'd say I could have been more fast and loose with fit up.
Andy, how was it to get the spindles lined up well? That seems like something you want really accurate.