• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

F250 shock tower install

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey, when you guys put these puppies on, how did you line them up with the shock mount on the axle? Mount a shock, let the axle droop, then mark the holes? From eyeballing it, it looks like it needs to go pretty far back, like I may even need to move the ground cable on the passenger side (I didn't flip the springs). But maybe not, checking it out tonight with the tire still on..

And can I just drill & tap a couple threaded holes in the frame, or should I try to get my fingers back there and put nuts on? I know TJ welded his.. but I would like to stick with bolts just in case I need to move them some day, seems to work for Ige & Treeroot and they wheel harder than I do. I'll put pictures of your installs below so y'all don't have to search. what's the best/cleanest way to cut the fenders? :eek: all comments welcome :beer:

Attachments

• ige.JPG
    ige.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 10,862
  • mike.jpg
    mike.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,320
  • tj.JPG
    tj.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,594

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Tim,

I think I just eyeballed mine. I mostly worried about clearing my FJ60 power steering mount. I'm not sure threading the holes in the frame gves you enough purchase to hold the bolts in. I put nuts on mine, which was not too bad. I actually used duct tape and a closed end wrench and pushed the bolts through from inside the frame, through the shock tower and I put the nuts on the outside. I cut the fenders with a cutting wheel which seems kid of crude, but it turned out pretty well. I'm away from home and probably won't have a chance to post a pic until after the 20th.

HTH :p:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Just what I need to hear, thanks! :beer2:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
What's the story, Nakman? I thought you wuz lowering the 40 a bit. Different plan?

isotel

i cant find a photo, but with mine, i did a SR, and fliped the springs, the towers ended up close pretty much in the center of the factory hole in the fender..

I kindof just eyeballed a line that the center of the axle travel in and tried to match the angle of it as close as i could.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I used a plumb bob. You are going to wish you had a cutting torch when you try to grind those rivets off.

IanB

Definitely need to use nuts, the frame is not thick enough to just tap.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member

Attachments

• tower4.jpg
    tower4.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,356
  • tower1.jpg
    tower1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,506

wesintl

RS Moderator

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Mike, I saw that thread but I don't have the means to cut or weld these things.. however if you'd like to help me out name your flavor :beer:! I'd be stoked, but you guys all have your own stuff to work on, so I'm trying to save up my favors for when I really need it.. ;) But I would prefer to get them on w/o cutting, and I agree straightening them up is better than hacking the fenders plus it gives a little more "up" travel too. I'm sure the welds will be every bit as strong as the bolts holding them to the frame.

And I already got the old towers off, yes those rivets sucked big time but I got them off with a grinder, punch, BFH, then finally a BFPiece of Steel that Ian had, which ultimately busted them free. my hands are still sore.

Matt, yes the 40 is lower but it has the potential for a lot more upward travel, plus I couldn't even find shocks that fit the current towers w/o lowering the bump stops, in my other thread about shocks I show the numbers.. so when all is said & done in this new config I should have at least 3" up & 4" down.. possibly more, once I get these new towers on I'll take it back to the ramp behind Autozone in laffyette & do some more measurements, then decide what shocks to get.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
wesintl said:
What's the point of cutting them down? I thought the idea is that the longer tower allows for a shock with more travel?:confused:

Wes, the towers have a pretty good bend to them, the one in the pic above has already been straightened. So when you straighten out the bend you clear the inner fender, and actually get a little more travel. I'll post a pic up of the tower tonight that shows how they're bent.

wesintl

RS Moderator
ah. I'm reading and not comprehending.:homer:See what little sleep does to you. ;)
I didn't realize you cut them to reweld them straight. I thought you were just cutting them down which defeats the purpose.

I installed them many moons ago on my spring over in va.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
IanB said:

Ian if you're into it then I'm all for it man, let me know when to bring them by, and what kind of :beer: to bring with.

wesintl

RS Moderator
SROR/AKA 2BAD said:
Sam Adams......duh!:thumb:

man, you're movin up :eek:

last time it was bud light... next it'll be some 5 barrell or deep cover :bowdown:

IanB

wesintl said:
man, you're movin up :eek:

last time it was bud light... next it'll be some 5 barrell or deep cover :bowdown:

Anyone who shows up at my house with Bud Light (or any canoe beer) is likely to get shot :mad: ;) :lmao:

A good IPA, Porter, Hefe Weizen or ESB always works :bowdown: :beer: