• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Evolution of LED courtesy lights

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Just replaced the LED courtesy lights in my 1996 80-series. Thought it was interesting to see the evolution of these LED lights.
  • The one on the left is the original LED replacement bulb that I put in more than a decade ago.
  • The one in the middle was a brighter bulb that I upgraded to a while ago.
  • The one on the right is the brightest by far, and available on Amazon for $8.49 for a 10-pack. Just put them in and they are very bright!

LED courtesy lights.jpeg

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Out of curiosity, which has the best color temperature? I remember early LEDs had quite a bit of green/blue hue to them, and the newest ones I have in my truck still have more blue than I'd like. It still seems hard to get that warm color hue and the right brightness in (aftermarket) automotive LEDs.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I bet in addition to color the output is drastically different to like 10x better.
Current LED tech is pretty sweet indeed, bright, cheap, and efficient.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Out of curiosity, which has the best color temperature? I remember early LEDs had quite a bit of green/blue hue to them, and the newest ones I have in my truck still have more blue than I'd like. It still seems hard to get that warm color hue and the right brightness in (aftermarket) automotive LEDs.
These are 6000k color temperature, which is supposed to be neutral bright white. I'm pleased with the color. They are definitely way whiter than the original stock incandescent bulb.

color-temp-3.png