Engine swap emissions questions.....

acon40

Banned
So, trying to source a good 4bta for the swap. Now, my logice is anything with a rebuild date of 95 or newer would pass me on emission in terms of not being able to use a older engine then the age of the car. I know this is a CA law, but is it a CO law. With the compay I work for and the track I am going towards corp, I have to keep CA in mind in terms of restrictions. If anyone has any other ideas on a bettter engine let me know.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I don't know what you mean by 4bta (I hail from the dark side :lmao:), but yeah, you generally need a motor that is equal or newer than the vehicle manufacture date complete with all its emissions equipment, computer, etc. They tested the 1996 OBDII functionality on my 1996 motor/1987 4Runner, and were happy.

Take it to the Colo. Dept. of Health to get the letter of approval when done.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'd be real interested in the details of your swap and your answer for emissions. I read these have more power than a supercharged 1FZE and get 25MPG.

Cummins 4bt

Try this web site www.dovebid.com they are industrial
auctioneers. I bought 4 "Frito-Lay" trucks this way and then sold off three to pay for the one I'm keeping. This
way I wound up with a truck that runs. No guessing about an engine sitting on a pallet, and for a better price.
The other "perk" is that these trucks are all aluminum so you can cut 'em up and haul it to the recycler and make some of your $$ back.
Also check out www.4btswaps.com tons of info here.
3 of my trucks were rated at 105 hp 265 ft/lb torque, the one I'm keeping has an inter cooler and the numbers come in higher.
Hope this helps
the second chapter for you will be to learn all about biodiesel

James
TLCA #4219

It may not be a CO law but when vehicles are tested for emissions they are tested to be up to the emissions standards set forth for that year vehicle hence the reason that even if there is no law saying the engine must be from a certain year, you will be more likely to pass with an engine and engine management system that was designed around the standards for that year or newer. As far as telling them that you had a gas burner and you are now a diesel, I really couldn't tell you what the procedure will be with that. I stuck a 22re from an 89 runner into an 80 toy pickup so all I needed was a tailpipe purge and the guy popped my hood, told me I did a good job and the motor looked like it belonged, then said he may as well not even test it but he needed the printout, lol. Diesel burns cleaner than gas anyway doesn't it????? I'd contact Air Care Colorado before you get too far into this project.

And you should be more worried about the year of the engine management system than the year of the block etc. because that is what will truly give you the emissions you need.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Can't swap from gas to diesel in the front range FAIK.

FJBen

I'd be real interested in the details of your swap and your answer for emissions. I read these have more power than a supercharged 1FZE and get 25MPG.

From proffitts:

General Info:
Our Cummins diesel conversions have been getting very popular and there is currently a wait for these. One of the most popular diesel options has been the Cummins 4BT conversion. The 4BT makes a mild 105 hp but a whopping 265 ft/lbs of torque and even at this stock rating, this diesel powers even a large, sprung over or tall 80-series Land Cruiser wagons with larger tires very well. That said, with the simple turn of some screws, it can easily make over 160 hp and over 400 ft/lbs of torque, and deliver just as much power as the early Dodge/Cummins 6 cyl diesels, but with some loss of mileage and some slightly increased noise. Quoting Enzo Ferrari, "horsepower sells cars, torque wins races." This 4 cyl engine delivers more torque than most V8s and this engine will literally idle over anything, which also reduces the need for deep gearing for trucks that are offroaded.

In most cases, at least 4" of lift is required to fit the engine in as it is deep. A five speed manual or overdrive-automatic transmission is required to achieve highway speeds and maximum fuel economy for street driven rigs. Approximate fuel mileage is in the mid to low 20s (though we have had some reports of as high as 27 mpg when driven cautiously and/or on rigs with 33" tires or smaller). Many aftermarket upgrades are also available for this engine as they use many of the same parts as the Dodge Cummins 6 cyl engines of the same era.

This is a 4 cylinder, direct-injected turbo diesel. At their stock rating, they produces about the same amount of noise as a "generation 1" Dodge Cummins (1989-1993 with the early body style), which is noticable but not massivly overbearing like many of the later Dodges. We do recommend some noise provisions (good weather stripping and/or soundproofing) for any rig that will be daily-style driven. Most 4BT's come from Frito-Lay-type P30 bread vans that were converted from gasoline to diesel sometime in the late 80's or early 90's by Cummins under their "Cummins Repower Program." There are no other major sources for these engines other than industrial stationary or tractor applications and these will not work in an automotive application. Because of this, 4BT's are somewhat hard to find and most costs as somewhat expensive at $2500-$3500 for the used engine so you need to decide if it is worth it versus a later fuel-injected Chevy V8 that offers gas mileage in the high teens or low 20's. We have had some luck finding these used for you but this is not always the case. Most have a Chevy or Ford bolt pattern on the rear, which can be easily interchanged, making them somewhat easy to adapt to many transmissions. In general, overall fuel savings does not pay for itself with these conversions; most people convert for the unique aspects of the conversion and sometimes to run alternative fuels suchas biodiesel fuel. We can and have also retrofitted heated-fuel fuel systems for vegetable oil or winter B100 biodiesel blends. Many of our customers have had excellent luck running biodiesel fuel in our 4BT conversions.
xx

from Greasecruiser on mud about the swap:
Ok, first things first. About the cost of the swap. The $12K-14K includes the lift, the tires, and all the drivetrain parts, which most of which are rebuilt or new. Total labor bill, including the installation of the lift, is less than $4K. The rest is parts.

but cool idea!

I dont think that is correct but if so get a po box in adams county and have them change the title to diesel and never do emissions again
So are you saying, living in boulder county that the diesel swap is just not a option as I would fail emissions?

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I believe Adams is still Front Range. Call the Colo. Dept. of Health, Motor Vehicle Inspections and ask them for the straight skinny.