Engine Rebuilder

gahi

Trail Ready
I remember talk of a shop in Arvada I think. Anyone have recent experience of where to have a 1FZFE rebuilt? Thanks,

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
Mile high performance. They were great to work with! Gunn automotive was great too, but I’m guessing is Lakewood maybe. Plus I don’t know if Gunn would build a whole engine, or just do machine work.

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Mountain High Performance is the shop, not mile high. I personally would not use Gunn for a 1FZ. Had a couple of terrible experiences.
As for Western auto in north denver, stay away.
These are the Machine shops I have had experience with in the Denver metro area. Mountain High has been doing the Machine work for me for over 20 years now. Have machine quite a few engines for me. Always have been happy. They will work with your parts if you want(no warranty on parts).
I believe the machine shop will do tear down and rebuilds if requested. You Should have a list of the parts you want them to replace and
if you want aftermarket or Toyota parts.
There are other machine shops around, At least one in Longmont, and a couple further north. I do not know if they have done 1FZ or not.
The biggest thing, is if the shop has experience with the shim and bucket system in the cylinder head, and how they address the adjustment.

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
Mountain High Performance is the shop, not mile high. I personally would not use Gunn for a 1FZ. Had a couple of terrible experiences.
As for Western auto in north denver, stay away.
These are the Machine shops I have had experience with in the Denver metro area. Mountain High has been doing the Machine work for me for over 20 years now. Have machine quite a few engines for me. Always have been happy. They will work with your parts if you want(no warranty on parts).
I believe the machine shop will do tear down and rebuilds if requested. You Should have a list of the parts you want them to replace and
if you want aftermarket or Toyota parts.
There are other machine shops around, At least one in Longmont, and a couple further north. I do not know if they have done 1FZ or not.
The biggest thing, is if the shop has experience with the shim and bucket system in the cylinder head, and how they address the adjustment.
Who would you recommend for a 22re rebuild?

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

gahi

Trail Ready
G.J. would be better for me if they have experience with the 1fz

J Kimmel

Hard Core 4+
I know you asked Robbie, but I recently had a great experience with Keith Gillespie in Grand Junction on a 22r rebuild. He used to work at Safari and now he works on Hugh's trucks since Safari closed. :)

I appreciate any input. I know I’ll never get a ton of power out of one but honestly a solid rebuild would be great. My engine is a stock who knows how many mile o got it from a junkyard guy. I bet an extra 20hp would be a massive difference. Thanks for the input that’s what I need

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
22R are real easy to build. At least to me. There are so many builder parts for that engine. Just over boring 1mm the engine will produce
a good bunch. Milling the head .020 is good as well, Mill the block .010 to help get back the drop in piston height. NPR has pistons and rings for those engine. Any machine shop can bore and do the valve job pretty reasonable. 1FZ head are shim and bucket and need a shop that has experience with them.
I do not know any one on the wester slope for machine work if that is where you live. But again, Mountain High can do and has done many of those 22R engine in the past.