Emissions testing with 35s

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Took the wife’s ’06 Saab 9 3 in for testing recently, thinking it would just be a plug in test. For some unknown reason they put it on rollers and tested it that way. No idea why. It fast passed, of course. Over the years I’ve learned to expect the unexpected at Air Care Colorado. 🤷

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Unexpected for sure :banghead:

I got fast-failed today for having a short exhaust pipe on my 100. Exhaust is cut just behind the rear axle like so many are, has been since 2012. This location in Longmont is the only place I've had it tested (so 3-4 times since configured), today I'm sitting there noticing they have lots of the same staff and thinking they've probably all tested the thing a few times when they kicked it out! I kindly explained that it had been that way for a decade and that they'd tested it lots of times before... no dice. I was told it is now unsafe to test and must be "repaired". Seeing the $1000 signing bonus sign on the wall and thinking maybe I should sign on for a couple weeks and get all my junk passed through and legal. :poop: /rant

I'll soon have a flexy thing with mag mount or similar to share for any of you suffering from a similar short pipe rejection. :cry:

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member

I got fast-failed today for having a short exhaust pipe on my 100. Exhaust is cut just behind the rear axle like so many are, has been since 2012. This location in Longmont is the only place I've had it tested (so 3-4 times since configured), today I'm sitting there noticing they have lots of the same staff and thinking they've probably all tested the thing a few times when they kicked it out! I kindly explained that it had been that way for a decade and that they'd tested it lots of times before... no dice. I was told it is now unsafe to test and must be "repaired". Seeing the $1000 signing bonus sign on the wall and thinking maybe I should sign on for a couple weeks and get all my junk passed through and legal. :poop: /rant

I'll soon have a flexy thing with mag mount or similar to share for any of you suffering from a similar short pipe rejection. :cry:

I had a similar but different issue with my old 2002 Sprinter. Air Care Colorado doesn't do diesel emissions, so you have to go to a third party. I took it to the same place I've been going for 4 years now, and while it "passed" they failed it this time because there is a CEL for the ABS pump. The pump failed ten years ago (the only downside is no traction control/ABS and is several grand to fix aka not worth it), and the light has been on ever since. It has passed emissions every year since until this guy failed it - and he didn't even mention it "failed" until he collected the $75 and shrugged his shoulders. I recently bought a Sprinter specific code reader and diagnostic tool to hopefully get it to where it can pass without dropping $3k+.

Lefty

Rising Sun Member

Sorry to hear that. Since this whole ordeal I’ve been researching registering my 80 in South Dakota. They’re one of the few states that allows non-residents to do so. Bonus is there’s no emissions testing required. From what I’ve read, the most inconvenient part of doing this is that you have to do your initial registration in person (you can renew online thereafter).

Apparently it’s turned into a nice money-maker for them.

Last edited:

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
80 on 37’s and “full time 4wd”
They didn’t bother with rollers. Plugged it in, and done
Last time i had my 80 tested was during covid, they only did the plug in test, passed, and cya in 2 years. according to aircares website vehicles 12yrs and older have to go on the rollers. When I recently got my new to me DD tested 2006, I requested to have the obd test done. They refused and put it on the rollers. Same story for a buddies jeep.

Sadly, I think that test for us is a thing of the past. But I suppose ill find out soon enough when I go for emissions again at the broomfield station this month.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Sorry to hear that. Since this whole ordeal I’ve been researching registering my 80 in South Dakota. They’re one of the few states that allows non-residents to do so. Bonus is there’s no emissions testing required. From what I’ve read, the most inconvenient part of doing this is that you have to do your initial registration in person (you can renew online thereafter).

sssshhhhh, that's illegal and the fines are not cheap. we had a boss from texas years ago and his wife was in an accident (not her fault). when the officer found out they were still running texas plates, she got a $1500 ticket. he was an a$$ so couldn't have happened to better folks ;)

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+

iggy brings up a good point, safer to create a trust in montana and register it to the trust.

Lefty

Rising Sun Member
sssshhhhh, that's illegal and the fines are not cheap. we had a boss from texas years ago and his wife was in an accident (not her fault). when the officer found out they were still running texas plates, she got a $1500 ticket. he was an a$$ so couldn't have happened to better folks ;)
That’s good to know. Knowing my luck, I’d end up getting busted 😅

mosdefjeff

Trail Ready
Sheridan has passed me with 35s and more recently opted not to run it on the rollers.

I just told them not to be scared, turned on pwr and patted him on the back.

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
I’m gonna try to test with the 35’s tomorrow. Where is this Sheridan location you guys speak of?

subzali

Hard Core 4+

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
On the rollers now at Sheridan location. Fingers crossed it passes n stays on them.
EFC7594B-4C63-41F0-8308-83A98C7A259D.jpeg

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
..and failed. 😂 But I do have an exhaust leak in between my cats, forgot that I disabled my egr system with the huddexpo kit, and had to wait in line for an hour. So gonna get that working again and retest.
859F3F38-8900-41BA-A0F5-929CE0B0362E.jpeg