Emissions testing with 35s

Lefty

Rising Sun Member
Hey y’all. Question for those of you located in the Denver metro and running 35s where are you taking your rig for emissions testing? I tried the Ken Caryl location, which is one of the centers that tests trucks running 34s and up. But they said they couldn’t perform the test because the truck is all time 4wd 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve heard the Golden location is good to go, but would hate to wait in line another hour and change only to find out they won’t do it either.

Any help would be appreciated!

Patrick

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Maybe someone's got their set of emission tires available?

Lefty

Rising Sun Member
Maybe someone's got their set of emission tires available?

Thank you!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
There's also Ray's compilation of emissions posts.

Lefty

Rising Sun Member
Update: the Sheridan location is where it’s at. Double-checked with an old timer before waiting in line another hour and he said I’d be good to go, which I was. What’s more, after the test the tech told me they used the standard rollers. Said there wasn’t any reason to put me on the oversize ones. Upshot is that after about 3 hours waiting in three different lines (Ken caryl, golden, and Sheridan), I passed.

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
If you’re OBD II then they will just plug in. That’s what they did for me when I took my 80 w/ 37’s.

Lefty

Rising Sun Member
Yeah, this is one of the few times I question my decision to get a ‘94.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
If you’re OBD II then they will just plug in. That’s what they did for me when I took my 80 w/ 37’s.
Sheridan definitely put my 4runner on the rollers when I took it in. Do they just not do that every time?

rover67

Rising Sun Member
They put my truck (97 80) on the rollers every time also. BUT our 2010 tundra skipped the rollers this time and got a OBD plugin instead. Every time before the tundra went on the rollers. So who knows.

As far as 35’s on the regular dyno goes it’s it really the limit of the regular one. You can see the stabilizing rollers as they slide into the tire and with some 35’s they clear with others they don’t. The operators seem to have opinions on what fits and what won’t as well as what they’re willing to try. Once they stuck my 60 with 35’s on the regular dyno and the rollers baaaaaarely slid in. During the test the truck kept trying to climb out. It was scary. Every other time I either was told go away with the 35’s or I just did e test tires. Now I have the 80 with 33’s so it’s a non issue.

Lefty

Rising Sun Member
They put my truck (97 80) on the rollers every time also. BUT our 2010 tundra skipped the rollers this time and got a OBD plugin instead. Every time before the tundra went on the rollers. So who knows.

As far as 35’s on the regular dyno goes it’s it really the limit of the regular one. You can see the stabilizing rollers as they slide into the tire and with some 35’s they clear with others they don’t. The operators seem to have opinions on what fits and what won’t as well as what they’re willing to try. Once they stuck my 60 with 35’s on the regular dyno and the rollers baaaaaarely slid in. During the test the truck kept trying to climb out. It was scary. Every other time I either was told go away with the 35’s or I just did e test tires. Now I have the 80 with 33’s so it’s a non issue.
They were definitely pushing the limits with the regular rollers. I’m not sure why they didn’t/don’t fire up the bay with the oversize rollers…seems like there’s more than enough built out rigs on 35s to justify it.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Also lots of trucks seem to come with 35’s or larger now not sure what they are expected to do

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Sheridan definitely put my 4runner on the rollers when I took it in. Do they just not do that every time?
80 on 37’s and “full time 4wd”
They didn’t bother with rollers. Plugged it in, and done

Last edited:

Lefty

Rising Sun Member
Also lots of trucks seem to come with 35’s or larger now not sure what they are expected to do
If you have ODBII I think you’re good to go since they’ll hook into that. It’s us snowflakes with the 94s and older that have to deal it. Just need to get to antique vehicle status and we’ll be good 🤣

Lefty

Rising Sun Member
If you have ODBII I think you’re good to go since they’ll hook into that. It’s us snowflakes with the 94s and older that have to deal it. Just need to get to antique vehicle status and we’ll be good 🤣
I suppose I could remove the front drive shaft before I go in next time 🤔

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
I
Have a 98 4runner w OBD2 and they put it on rollers....

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
@rushthezeppelin your 4Runner is part-time 4WD with 32s. 80s are full time 4WD and can run 35+ tires.

The issue is standard awd car type rollers at the emissions center can’t accept the big tire awd trucks.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
@rushthezeppelin your 4Runner is part-time 4WD with 32s. 80s are full time 4WD and can run 35+ tires.

The issue is standard awd car type rollers at the emissions center can’t accept the big tire awd trucks.
I see, so if I can just figure out a way to get an 80 drivetrain into my truck and then put 35s on it I wouldn't have to worry about the stupid rollers? SOLD lol.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I am about 50/50 in golden with my 97 on 35s

Half the time the run it on the 4 wheel dyno
Half the time they puss out and do tailpipe inspection only

But I have yet to have them refuse to etest it because of the tire size

The old thing about etest tires 33 or smaller isn’t a thing in my albeit potentially lucky experience over I am estimating the past 8 years

Now if it’s borderline in terms of passing sure a smaller tire will help

But I kinda like getting waived through for a no roller sniff test only

Ymmv or even ymwv

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I see, so if I can just figure out a way to get an 80 drivetrain into my truck and then put 35s on it I wouldn't have to worry about the stupid rollers? SOLD lol.
It's been a long time since I've done a Air Care test but my thought would be it's better having the lowest drag approach to get through. Being able to do plain 2WD on 32" means no special lane or knowing which place has that one person working. Pick a mid-month Tuesday morning, be early and out in time to get coffee. Honestly, though, the best option is watch where they had the roadside van and make sure to drive past it enough times to not have to deal with it at all. I never failed those tests.