Elk Hunting

Anyone out there have any info on Cow Elk hunting in Colorado. I'm new to Colorado and recently got my hunting and fishing license. I'm looking for some recommendations on public/private area hunts for next year. If your also looking for someone to join your group that would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sounds like the application period is coming to a close soon.

Thanks,

Kevin

krbruce9@yahoo.com
936-371-1443

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member

baja1d

Hard Core 4+
I’d echo what Corbet said. If you’re going Over The Counter I’d encourage you to look at last year’s statistics for each unit.

Travis Hurley- Founder/Owner
Outer Limit Supply | 720-987-4202
Est. 2014 | Littleton, Colorado
www.outerlimitsupply.com

I put in for a rifle cow tag and some preference points. If I don't draw I'll get an over the counter archery tag. Really thought there would be some hunters on this forum. Guess I'll be packing out a cow solo this year. That hurts just thinking about it!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
Really thought there would be some hunters on this forum. Guess I'll be packing out a cow solo this year. That hurts just thinking about it!

There are a good number of hunters on the forum. I'm guessing that no one wants to disclose their favorite hunting spots. I'm lucky enough to be able to hunt out my back door. While not the best hunting around it's nice to sleep in my own bed every night.

mosdefjeff

Trail Ready
Southern units near Gunnison generally yield low hunter/elk numbers for OTC tags and I am scouting down there this summer.

I have a cabin on the border of unit 18/181 up north near Kremmling. These units generally have high numbers of 'truck hunters', but if you're willing to put in some walking, you'll have better luck. I run into cows almost every year I go up for deer (I bring home venison every year I go). Easy to get OTC bull tags as well. Having walk in access to areas others can't get to if they aren't on horseback helps, for sure.