• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Elephant Hill, UT 9-25-21

MATPHAT

Lifted
For my 50th birthday my brother and best friend and I are going to head down to Needles District to do some camping, hiking (Druid arch), and wheeling (Elephant Hill) on the 25th of September.

If anyone will be in the area and interested in making it a two or three truck trip let me know. I'm planning on trying to get the passes asap.

Also looking for any advice on the trail from experience folks as I've never run it before.

Thanks!

Last edited:

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
I was on elephant hill a few years ago and well as back in horse creek(I think) and a few other spots. We took a f150 with a leveling kit and 33s on it everywhere my 4runner went. Had to jump align the aluminum running boards (rock feelers) a few times but all and all it got through everything with some tricky spotting. My 4runner had no issues. It is also not stock. I strongly recommend camping at devils kitchen. My favorite spot ever! No fires though. Hit me up if you have any specific questions.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Make sure you do both the hikes:
  • Joint trail - go through the slot canyon and climb up to the great view. We usually do lunch at the trailhead parking lot (there is a picnic bench).
  • Overlook of the confluence of the Colorado and Green Rivers
After you pass the Devil's Kitchen campground, take a left turn down Devil's Lane. You'll be headed towards the Joint Trailhead where you can park to do the hike. There is a difficult turn right after the petroglyphs, known by all here as SOB Hill. It's here. The easiest way through this is to nose into the dead end and back down — or go in backwards, back into the dead end, and then drive straight down. When you are coming back, do it in reverse.

Otherwise, just follow the trail and you'll be fine.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
Once on top of elephant hill, park and walk over to check for uphill traffic as they have the right of way. If you're partway down, most will wait for you to clear it. I have never seen someone not wait, but there is always that one person out there somewhere!

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I am interested in joining you all for elephant Hill. I have run it many time, including leading it several times for Cruise Moab. What trucks are you taking. Last time I did it was the summer of 2019.

MATPHAT

Lifted
I am interested in joining you all for elephant Hill. I have run it many time, including leading it several times for Cruise Moab. What trucks are you taking. Last time I did it was the summer of 2019.
Hey Beach. Single Truck. 2008 4Runner. 2" lift, sliders oil pan armor, 31s. As close to stock without being stock honestly. We be headed in first thing Sunday morning after breakfast. Sept 25.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Thanks guys. It's a bit intimidating frankly. I still feel pretty green. Jackson can probably attest to my inexperience from the noob run. I'm going to give it a shot regardless.

you’ll be fine man. Just remember you’re way the hell out there and shut any wheel spin down immediately. Get out and look.

MATPHAT

Lifted
you’ll be fine man. Just remember you’re way the hell out there and shut any wheel spin down immediately. Get out and look.
Yeah, if anything, the noob run made me incredibly sensitive to spin. Losing a wheel 10 miles out would be...interesting.

Beach Boy

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Hey Beach. Single Truck. 2008 4Runner. 2" lift, sliders oil pan armor, 31s. As close to stock without being stock honestly. We be headed in first thing Sunday morning after breakfast. Sept 25.
You should be fine. If you are getting the passes, go ahead and add me. Any questions, let me know.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Are you guys camping in Devil's Kitchen? just curious, as it's bucket list awesome down there... I can't go, but have a super great time!

pmccumber

Hard Core 4+
For my 50th birthday my brother and best friend and I are going to head down to Needles District to do some camping, hiking (Druid arch), and wheeling (Elephant Hill) on the 25th of September.

If anyone will be in the area and interested in making it a two or three truck trip let me know. I'm planning on trying to get the passes asap.

Also looking for any advice on the trail from experience folks as I've never run it before.

Thanks!

Favorite area in the Moab area. I think I’ve done EHill 7 times in the 80 and twice in the 100. You might need a permit now. I wonder if Horse Canyon is open yet? You should check. That is a fun canyon. I’ll take pics of the guide pages if you call and it’s open. Man there were two arches down Horse canyon, Castle and Fortress. Castle is the prettiest arch I’ve seen. Both require short hikes (1/2 mi). Man that was a fun day.

Druid Arch is one of my favorite hike. But the hiking there is sublime. If you’re starting from the parking lot, I recommend making a loop out of it by going thru Chesler Park and dropping in to the drainage that Druid is in. That way you get to see Chesler and it breaks it up a bit. Come back the standard route.

if you drove out to the Joint Trail, you can cut a little distance off it by starting there. Great hike though. You’ll love it.

The private campground is really nice. They have showers. There was a decade where a batshit crazy woman and her husband ran it but it was still nice. The forest service campground is extremely nice but they fill up fast. There are 1/2 dozen dispersed campgrounds now that fill up with the “crackles”. The climbing in Indian Creek is extremely popular. The best odds for dispersed camping might be down Lockhart Rd.

MATPHAT

Lifted
Favorite area in the Moab area. I think I’ve done EHill 7 times in the 80 and twice in the 100. You might need a permit now. I wonder if Horse Canyon is open yet? You should check. That is a fun canyon. I’ll take pics of the guide pages if you call and it’s open. Man there were two arches down Horse canyon, Castle and Fortress. Castle is the prettiest arch I’ve seen. Both require short hikes (1/2 mi). Man that was a fun day.

Druid Arch is one of my favorite hike. But the hiking there is sublime. If you’re starting from the parking lot, I recommend making a loop out of it by going thru Chesler Park and dropping in to the drainage that Druid is in. That way you get to see Chesler and it breaks it up a bit. Come back the standard route.

if you drove out to the Joint Trail, you can cut a little distance off it by starting there. Great hike though. You’ll love it.

The private campground is really nice. They have showers. There was a decade where a batshit crazy woman and her husband ran it but it was still nice. The forest service campground is extremely nice but they fill up fast. There are 1/2 dozen dispersed campgrounds now that fill up with the “crackles”. The climbing in Indian Creek is extremely popular. The best odds for dispersed camping might be down Lockhart Rd.
That's an awesome review! Thanks so much for the info. We are headed down Thursday morning.