Electrical Troubleshooting

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Can anyone help me troubleshoot my FJ40 project? The starter won't turn. It's a gear reduction starter out of an FJ60. I replaced the contacts. Is it possible it's frozen? I do have the black & white wire hooked up to the spade connector from the harness. It's getting voltage when the key is in the "start" position. I'm grounded battery to frame & frame to engine. I put a battery charger/starter on the battery last night. When I turn the key I didn't get much except a buzzing noise I thought came from behind the dash, and a click when I turned the key off. Might have been the starter. Not sure. I would gladly pay :beer::beer::beer: for some help. :D

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I'd accept the :beer: but I'm afraid I'd be little help...I can't even figure out why when I signal right my blinkers work but when I signal left I get hazards :( - You are way beyond my level of help :hill:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Can anyone help me troubleshoot my FJ40 project? The starter won't turn. It's a gear reduction starter out of an FJ60. I replaced the contacts. Is it possible it's frozen? I do have the black & white wire hooked up to the spade connector from the harness. It's getting voltage when the key is in the "start" position. I'm grounded battery to frame & frame to engine. I put a battery charger/starter on the battery last night. When I turn the key I didn't get much except a buzzing noise I thought came from behind the dash, and a click when I turned the key off. Might have been the starter. Not sure. I would gladly pay :beer::beer::beer: for some help. :D

Is there a amperage load? If not the solenoid isn't engaging which could be from the contacts, faulty solenoid, batt cable or exciter wire (comes from start mode of switch) connections. If there is a load and it's not tuning then the starter is frozen. Can you use jumper cables and jump the positive and the exciter terminals?

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Can you use jumper cables and jump the positive and the exciter terminals?

Here's a picture of the three wires coming from the harness. The larger black wire with the white stripe is the one I have connected to the terminal on the starter. Both it and the small black & white wire put voltage out when the key is turned to start. What do you think the two wires going in to the green connector are for? I can try jumping the starter. It might be just as easy to do that on the bench, eh? Or, do you mean with it hooked to the battery cable and exciter wire, jump from one terminal to the other? :D

Attachments

• Starter Wires.JPG
    Starter Wires.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 149

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Just guessing but I would say the small black with white stripe wires goes to the starter exciter and the larger one goes to the coil. The other two I have no idea as they are not large enough for starter amperage. I assume you have a large wire direct from batt positive to the starter large terminal? If so what is the voltage? Should be able to jump from that large terminal and the exciter and have starter activity.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Found my problem. Guess I owe Uncle Ben a :beer:. :bowdown: Anybody have another GR starter they want to part with? I've got lots of good parts I could trade. :grinpimp:

Attachments

• Bad Solenoid.JPG
    Bad Solenoid.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Bad Solenoid Cover.JPG
    Bad Solenoid Cover.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 140

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Holy frijoles :eek:

What kind of parts you using Chris? That thing looks like it spent time down in N.O. after Katrina... :hill:

I think I jinxed myself posting up in this thread...My stereo stopped working in the 40 tonight...Probably has something to do with the blown 20 amp fuse I found sitting on the DS floor board.

Problem is, I really had no idea where in the world that sucker came from. 30 mins of searching and I "think" I found the inline fuse holder - at least one end of it - up above the heater. Damn PPOs and their wiring jumbles. There had to be at least 3 inline fuses back up in there, not to mention some under the DS seat, in the engine bay, etc...Damn 40 has inline fuses every where.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Holy frijoles :eek:

What kind of parts you using Chris? That thing looks like it spent time down in N.O. after Katrina... :hill:

I think I jinxed myself posting up in this thread...My stereo stopped working in the 40 tonight...Probably has something to do with the blown 20 amp fuse I found sitting on the DS floor board.

Problem is, I really had no idea where in the world that sucker came from. 30 mins of searching and I "think" I found the inline fuse holder - at least one end of it - up above the heater. Damn PPOs and their wiring jumbles. There had to be at least 3 inline fuses back up in there, not to mention some under the DS seat, in the engine bay, etc...Damn 40 has inline fuses every where.

Holy frijoles is right! Lets hope the blown 20 amp fuse didn't come from your stereo! I have to shamefully admit there are several inline fuses in my 40 also and I personally know the jerk who put them in! Trouble is, especially in the older 40's, the small and simple fuse block is too small and simple. You decide you want to add another accessory and so whats one in-line fuse, eh? Then you add another and another..... I have threatened for years of pulling the old harness and building a new one but that takes time and since technically is not broke so don't mess with it, right? Wiring is always a PITA. What gets really scary when you see the spaghetti monster created from a po that is full of crimp connectors and scotch locks.....oh and lets not forget all the added wires are one or two colors.....:eek:
Good luck on the open circuit sir.....hopefully it's easy to trace and find!
:cheers:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I installed a new fuse box on the firewall, and that solved several issues. Got it at West Marine.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Wiring is always a PITA. What gets really scary when you see the spaghetti monster created from a po that is full of crimp connectors and scotch locks.....oh and lets not forget all the added wires are one or two colors.....:eek:
Good luck on the open circuit sir.....hopefully it's easy to trace and find!
:cheers:

About an hour last night and 30 mins this morning and no luck :mad: - sliced and diced my arms good digging around though. Thought it was going to be soooo easy...I mean really, blown fuse laying on the DS floor, how far away could it have come from right? With the light of day, ash tray pulled out, I caught a good glimpse of inline fuses, crimp connectors, scotch locks, and various multiple wire colors on the same routes :eek:

Bring your flashlight tonight if you want to laugh at the mess :hill:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I installed a new fuse box on the firewall, and that solved several issues. Got it at West Marine.

That is/has been the plan. Actually along the way I ended up with two of the painless aux wiring blocks (I'm sure I bought one, promptly forgot I bought it, and bought another one) so I plan to use at least one of those.

Gonna wait till the hard top comes off and I remove the seats as I'm tired of playing a contortionist...hurts to damn much :D