Early FJ40 Brake Tees

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I bought a new hard brake line kit from Cruiser Corps because I twisted one front driver lines clean off while attempting to remove it from the soft line and I nicked the rear line while cutting off one of the rear u-bolts. Yesterday I tried to remove the male fittings and found they were seized at every connection. Decided to cut out the lines and remove the fittings in the vise. The tips of the fittings were deformed into a slightly larger diameter and buggered up the threads while I twisted them out. Maybe this is why Toyota changed to 10mm fittings from late 1970 and later FJ40's.

Question: would you use a thread chaser to hopefully repair the existing tees or find replacements? My on-line search did not find any M9 x 1 tees. I need two "3-way tees" and one "2-way tee". Anyone have a M9 x 1 thread chaser?

Brake Tees.jpg

Last edited:

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I purchased a M9x1 tap that arrives tomorrow. Hoping to fix these since M9 tees are unobtainable and I'm committed to using the M9 brake line kit I already purchased. Certain parts for pre-1970 FJ40's can be challenging. You folks with 2F's, power disk brakes, and 4-speeds don't know how good you got it!

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I purchased a M9x1 tap that arrives tomorrow. Hoping to fix these since M9 tees are unobtainable and I'm committed to using the M9 brake line kit I already purchased. Certain parts for pre-1970 FJ40's can be challenging. You folks with 2F's, power disk brakes, and 4-speeds don't know how good you got it!
Did you check with Classic Cruisers in Poncha Springs? They'd be on the short list of people who would have a weird old early 40 part.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I will if I comes down to it and I'll be prepared to shell out some $$$$ based on past experience.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
My '71 has those size lines too...not sure if it is really 9mm. Jim Chenoweth calls it a British "bastard thread". The M10x1 on all my other cruisers is so much more widely available...

simps80

Rising Sun Member
If you call classic cruiser$$ you might as well get
The non bastard 9mm fittings and modernize the lines

No reason to keep the prior 9mm fittings and lines if redoing all the that

arthog

Hard Core 4+
I have a 68 parts rig that has a complete intact brake system, If that the correct size then I have what you need.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Last edited:

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I would have purchased the 10mm kit and find new tees (late 1970 and up) if I knew how much of a PITA it was going to be but I already have the 9mm kit from Cruiser Corps so I'm going to make it work. The other challenge I haven't mentioned is the rear axle was changed in the past to a newer FJ40 and those specific 4 hard lines are a different configuration and are 10mm. I didn't know that when I bought the kit. I'm working with Cruiser Corps for replacements of those lines. I've got everything done on my list since I picked up the rig a month ago (Ironman lift, fixed t-case leak, undercarriage paint, rear heater install), and I'm itching to get these brake lines replaced so I can drive it!

The tap should arrive today and I'll let everyone know how it goes. I also have the four pre-1970 9mm lines for the rear brakes if anyone wants them.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Here is a pic...she is purdy.
70 FJ40 Front Pic (2).jpg

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Update: the M9x1 tab worked great and I have all the lines installed except the missing rear line that goes across the axle. Cruiser Corps sent me the wrong replacement and I have several emails and calls into them without response...very frustrating! My Plan B is to bend my own line and pirate the M10 fittings from the wrong line they sent.

On another note, I installed a Toyota FJ60 gear reduction starter last weekend and that could be one of the best F engine upgrades out there. Spins twice as fast and now starts almost instantly.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
these guys might be able to help

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Thought I'd close out this thread. I finally have the new hard lines installed and leak free. I used a combination of 9mm and 10mm brake fittings since I have a later model rear axle in my 1970 FJ40. The front axle brake fittings are 9mm and the rear fittings are 10mm. I purchased a later model 3-way union from Classic Cruisers for the rear brakes to except the 10mm lines. Everything bolted up except one modification - had to cut the hard line that runs front to back along the frame at the rear rubber brake hose location, replace the 9mm fitting with 10mm fitting and reflare the tip. Last on the list is adjusting the shoes a few clicks and I'll be good to go!