• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Driving the Gulches on Saturday, November 7th

sleepintheback

Rock Stacker
My name is Jonathan Whitwell, and I got a 2013 LC recently. I've done a few trails, and I'd like to meet some other off-roading people. I have two people showing up, and I think they're both members here.
Beginning at 9:30, we'll leave from the trail head toward Metberry Gulch. I'll be leaving Denver at 7 that morning. I'm going to bring lunch, and I think we can do all three gulches. That's all the planning I have so far, but later I'll find the nearest VHF repeater and put that info here.
Who's coming with?
Radio stuff: NX0G looks like a good repeater. It broadcasts on 146.820, listens on 136.220, and uses a 107.2 tone. I'm KE0PNI

Last edited:

rightlane80

Rising Sun Member
Ill be there in my 80
IMG_20201014_185354_812.jpg

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
This makes for an awesome day if you take your time! I wish I could make it.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Sounds like It will be a good time, thanks for sharing!!

Pz10420

Trail Ready
I think I may be able to join as well.

sleepintheback

Rock Stacker
Glad to see some more people might make it! I thought we'd meet at the staging area described in the FunTreks guide:
From Hwy. 24 in divide, head north on C.R. 5. Swing left at 0.5 miles on C.R. 51. Turn right at 3.5 miles, staying on C.R. 51. At 10 miles stay left following C.R. 51/Cedar Mountain Road. Go another 0.8 mile to large staging and parking area.

Jameson

Rising Sun Member
I ran Longwater gulch over the summer (that's the picture in profile). It was really cool. I would strongly advise downloading the GPX... the signage that shows where the trail ends is missing. I ended up making it to the river and found out later that was technically past the boundary for the trail. And yes, crossing the river is not allowed. Enjoy! Btw there is a rock formation towards the bottom of the run. Climb up it for a badass view of the gulch.

sleepintheback

Rock Stacker
As best I can tell from following the FunTreks direction on google maps, the parking/staging area is Crystal Creek Trailhead:
I'll be following these instructions:
From Hwy. 24 in divide, head north on C.R. 5. Swing left at 0.5 miles on C.R. 51. Turn right at 3.5 miles, staying on C.R. 51. At 10 miles stay left following C.R. 51/Cedar Mountain Road. Go another 0.8 mile to large staging and parking area.
I'm excited for this trip. I got a refill on my CO2 bottle last night, so that'll be nice to refill quickly when we're done.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Count me in. Sounds like fun to run again. Any one have radios? Cb? Ham?

As best I can tell from following the FunTreks direction on google maps, the parking/staging area is Crystal Creek Trailhead:
I'll be following these instructions:
I'm excited for this trip. I got a refill on my CO2 bottle last night, so that'll be nice to refill quickly when we're done.
Do you want to drive down together from Denver? I'm in City Park West. I can't keep up with a 2013 though...my 1994 = slow. :ROFLMAO:
HC
land cruiser.jpg