• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Discount Tire - The Last Straw

Telly

Rising Sun Member
My 33/10.5r15 Toyo Open Country M/T's arrived at Discount Tire in Monument today. I arrived this afternoon to drop off my freshly polished stock 87 FJ60 rims and they refused to mount the tires because the rims are 15 x 6 and "the rims must be 1/2" wider to safely install the tires". As we were loading the rims back in my 82 Toyota pickup, I showed the kid the Toyo's 31/10.5r15's on the exact same rim on the truck. He seemed shocked the tires were actually holding air.

Needless to say, that will be the last time I deal with these idiots.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Discount sucks on so many levels, this being one of the biggest reasons here.

shellb

Hard Core 4+
Totally agree, which is why I switched to indy shop up here in Erie.

Old school service and takes care of customers. Heck I even just txt them when I need tires, super easy.

May cost a bit more but totally worth it.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah they wouldn't install 31x10.50r15's on the same rims for the same reason. I took them to 4wheelparts.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Yeah they wouldn't install 31x10.50r15's on the same rims for the same reason. I took them to 4wheelparts.
I am completely done with Discount tire. I asked them to rotate and balance the tires I bought from them on our Camry and they refused because there was some feathering of the tread on the left front. they insisted i purchase a new tire. They are completely ridiculous at this point and i will never do business with them again.

Earlier in 2020 they refused to rotate some tires on my daughter's 100 because the tread on the front was lower than the tread on the rear. they stated that "since the rear does 70% of the braking that would be unsfe, so you need to buy new tires." DT is to be mentioned in historical reference only.

Last edited:

Pz10420

Trail Ready
My 33/10.5r15 Toyo Open Country M/T's arrived at Discount Tire in Monument today. I arrived this afternoon to drop off my freshly polished stock 87 FJ60 rims and they refused to mount the tires because the rims are 15 x 6 and "the rims must be 1/2" wider to safely install the tires". As we were loading the rims back in my 82 Toyota pickup, I showed the kid the Toyo's 31/10.5r15's on the exact same rim on the truck. He seemed shocked the tires were actually holding air.

Needless to say, that will be the last time I deal with these idiots.
I took my spare into the same discount tire a couple months ago because I ran over a razor blade in the center of the tread. I just wanted it patched. They call me an hour later and tell me I need a new tire because there is a hole in the side wall of the tire and it wouldn’t hold air. There was no hole in the side wall when I dropped it off. They were just trying to get me to buy a new tire. So I said “ sure order me a new tire”. I showed up when the tire came in with my certificates for replacement that I didn’t tell them I had. The look on their face was pretty priceless. Needless to say I don’t think I’ll be going back there anymore either.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
I buy a LOT of tires from Discount going back to 1999, and while there have been a couple misses here and there (over torqued lugs causing one to sheer) over the years, they have always taken care of the issues professionally and courteously. I’ve been to locations in Arvada, Lone Tree, Littleton, Lakewood, Aurora, Flagstaff, and Las Vegas and wouldn’t recommend any other tire shop to my friends and family. I have found being very well prepared/educated and firm about pricing and what you want/what they can do is key, but they’ve been the only shop I’ve found that will actually install larger tires that what “should” go on the truck. They also price match anything legit and usually beat the lowest price and have locations all over the place. The only 2 times I’ve been burned on tires in the last few years is when I went somewhere OTHER than Discount trying to get a hard to find tire size or just try something new. Buying tires from an online retailer and then finding a shop to install usually leads to both the tire manufacturer and the shop not wanting to deal with any issues that arise, but Discount has always taken care of me. YMMV but I think Discount has been great for me and my family especially the location on Ralston in Arvada.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I buy a LOT of tires from Discount going back to 1999, and while there have been a couple misses here and there (over torqued lugs causing one to sheer) over the years, they have always taken care of the issues professionally and courteously. I’ve been to locations in Arvada, Lone Tree, Littleton, Lakewood, Aurora, Flagstaff, and Las Vegas and wouldn’t recommend any other tire shop to my friends and family. I have found being very well prepared/educated and firm about pricing and what you want/what they can do is key, but they’ve been the only shop I’ve found that will actually install larger tires that what “should” go on the truck. They also price match anything legit and usually beat the lowest price and have locations all over the place. The only 2 times I’ve been burned on tires in the last few years is when I went somewhere OTHER than Discount trying to get a hard to find tire size or just try something new. Buying tires from an online retailer and then finding a shop to install usually leads to both the tire manufacturer and the shop not wanting to deal with any issues that arise, but Discount has always taken care of me. YMMV but I think Discount has been great for me and my family especially the location on Ralston in Arvada.
You are welcome to continue your patronage.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Same here. I’m sorry to hear that others have had such negative experiences, but I’ve had nothing but positive ones with Discount Tire. I’ve been going to the one on Ralston in Arvada since I was in high school (across the street at A-West, actually), and my parents still use that one to this day. I’ve also frequented the location on 92nd and Pierce in Westminster, as well as a few times at the one in Northglenn on 120th. They’ve worked on my 100, 200 and countless other vehicles, repaired tires, replaced ones under their warranty program, and I always go back for the free tire rotations, mostly because it’s super easy to schedule them online.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Discount Tires has always worked well for me: best prices on a wide range of tire products, knowledgeable, courteous staff, etc. Yes, they have told me they won't work on tires that are more than ten years old and once they wouldn't mount tires too wide for my wheels per the tire manufacturer's spec. Otherwise, I've never had a complaint and the fact that they have numerous locations around our region make them the go to tire place. That's over thirty plus years of more than satisfactory experiences. I have seen customers walk in and act like they know more than the people behind the counter whose business has been turned away because Discount doesn't play games. Take it or leave it.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
"I have found being very well prepared/educated and firm about pricing and what you want/what they can do is key,"
Sadly we need to be this at most places. This is why a relationship with a trusted service provider is priceless.
Last time I went to Discount to re-balance the KO2's on the 80 I showed them that their website only showed 15" tires for 80's and that they had the wrong torque spec (I brought the page from the FSM and the store manager called his boss about it)

My go-to has been Discount tire at 4850 Wadworth. I have used the hazard services while in other cities. Not critical, but nice to have.
I have used local tire shops on Sheridan in Edgewater and on south Broadway for $20 work I knew better than to bother any chain store, like mounting or dismounting Rising Sun or Craigslist purchased tires or swapping a rim on a 20 year old spare.

Last year I stumbled on an independent shop - Highway Autoworks at 4825 E Evans Ave, Denver, CO 80222. If you want 27" wheels for your hot rod / show car they have you covered. I was not sure what they would say to mounting a KM2 on a spare rim, but they handled it with ease. I went back there in early November to swap the Kenda Klever A/T2s onto my 80. I could have done it cheaper on Sheridan or South Broadway but I figured if they could handle those expensive exotic rims that they would do mine right. They did. Perfectly balanced. Nas is the owner's name, short for Nasser. I'm planning to go back there soon to mount the used Geolander G015's to the GX.

As a bonus Nas told me of a Syrian sweets shop 2160 S Holly St, Denver, CO 80222. Try the Kanafe and Baklava.

Discount Tire screenshot wrong size.png

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Daniel, are you referring to El Colorado Tires on Sheridan Bl? That’s where I go for the kind of little jobs you described that I wouldn’t bother Discount with. Hector, el Jefe, has always been good to deal with. One experience there was to swap an old spare to a slightly less old tire and it took about two minutes, including balancing. When I mentioned that they were fast, the guy doing the work replied “We’re faster than NASCAR!” 😁 Hector kept the old tire and gave me credit that covered the swap. I wouldn’t, for one second, expect Discount to do anything like that.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
the fact that they have numerous locations around our region make them the go to tire place
I've been loyal to Discount mainly due to a single transaction in 2003 when I had an issue (bubbles in the carcass and eventually tires plugs were involved) around Grand Canyon and Sedona

They fixed me up with two brand new tires no cost on the spot in Flagstaff despite being older tires at best a pro-rated situation and I was expecting them to legitimately just simply say sorry but they're out of warranty.

I know people have had issues with them lately and their policies seem to be getting more restrictive. I dunno if it's liability concerns, targeting a different market, whatever. Not really been an issue for us so far but it's still valuable to hear feedback from trusted friends anyway.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Liability concerns are my guess for the observed tighter restrictions. All they really want to do, imo, is sell tires to anyone who wants them.

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
In Englewood I recommend “Buy Back Wheels” as I’ve mentioned in the past it is a low key shop that embodies much of what we look for in a tire shop. The shop owners are the ones that lay hands on your rig and they are very competent and reasonable...

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Liability concerns are my guess for the observed tighter restrictions. All they really want to do, imo, is sell tires to anyone who wants them.
This is exactly true.

I did not beat up the poor kid behind the counter too bad but he knew I was pissed. He truly wanted to help me but his hands were tied...because the computer told him so.

Good news is my new tires are being installed today at JJ Tracks in Monument. They are a pretty good shop but can be pricey for certain things...especially exhaust work.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
This is exactly true.

I did not beat up the poor kid behind the counter too bad but he knew I was pissed. He truly wanted to help me but his hands were tied...because the computer told him so.

Good news is my new tires are being installed today at JJ Tracks in Monument. They are a pretty good shop but can be pricey for certain things...especially exhaust work.
So if you recognized the fact the guy couldn't do what you wanted why were you pissed? You felt better for beating him up a little? :unsure:

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Yes...I should have punched him in the face....:rolleyes: