• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Discount Tire - The Last Straw

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
DT was sued in 2012, and the lawyers took over the place after that. I used to use them for everything - they even happily sold and mounted 16.5" wide Pitbulls on a set of 9" wide wheels in 2009 - but now I just use them for tires for my wife's RX, and for my tow rig tires. My last straw for anything wheeling related was their refusal to mount 35x12.50's on a set of stock Jeep wheels. They would have happily mounted 315's, which are nominally wider, but were apoplectic at the prospect of 35s.

Mark

ccslider

Hard Core 4+
They scratched my brand new rim and managed to tear my sidewall. Then they said that tear is just cosmetic.

I made them buy me a new tire, the scratched the rim while installing new tire.

I'm done with them as well.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
They scratched my brand new rim and managed to tear my sidewall. Then they said that tear is just cosmetic.

I made them buy me a new tire, the scratched the rim while installing new tire.

I'm done with them as well.
That reminds me, they did manage to gouge a wheel when they installed my current tires. The wheels were still in the bags the powdercoating shop put them in so there was no question as to what happened. They reimbursed me to have it redone and I just chalked up to things happen.

Honestly, the wheels I was replacing had lost chunks of rim lip from rocks so tire mounting scratches aren't any worse. But the rock rash is my fault at least. It's a risk at any shop but does speak to the business model of just put on tires, get you in-and-out fast I suppose.

Anywho, they just asked me to get a quote from the shop for them to submit but since it was only like $60 they paid me from petty cash on the spot. Fine with that for utility wheels on a pickup. If I was driving a Corvette or 200 with high dollar wheels I'd probably have been more pissed, though.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Maybe I should start a tire and wheel shop in retirement?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

Gnxtra87

Brand New
My 33/10.5r15 Toyo Open Country M/T's arrived at Discount Tire in Monument today. I arrived this afternoon to drop off my freshly polished stock 87 FJ60 rims and they refused to mount the tires because the rims are 15 x 6 and "the rims must be 1/2" wider to safely install the tires". As we were loading the rims back in my 82 Toyota pickup, I showed the kid the Toyo's 31/10.5r15's on the exact same rim on the truck. He seemed shocked the tires were actually holding air.

Needless to say, that will be the last time I deal with these idiots.
Sorry to hear that. I have always had a good experience at the monument discount tire with my 80 series.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
How does Les Schwab compare?

Hants

Rising Sun Member
We’ve been using the Monument Discount Tire for 15 years, as best I recall (we move here 15 years ago).

They pissed me off when they stopped siping tires upon request, and they’ve declined to mount tires >10 years old.

Otherwise they have been awesome. Suggested uncommon (but great) tires, special ordered tires, calmly “ate” tires when they ordered the wrong size (special order).

I think they replaced 6 tires under road hazard.... in less than 2 years (on my 80) - yes, I really started pushing the envelope wheeling. Never complained or gave pushback despite some severe damage to old tires.

They’ve given discounts for tires that didn’t reach rated mileage - unsolicited and material discounts.

They price match every time I’ve asked and given samples... and sometimes simply asking if I need to go look.

This has been my experience with this shop... clearly others don’t have the same. :beer:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
880AFB04-B933-4B7A-B78C-43BC3E9FCCA3.jpeg