• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Diesel import questions/rules

Pz10420

Trail Ready
So I already have a diesel import that I have gone through the process of getting it registered and on the road here in Colorado. But recently an opportunity has come to me for a different diesel import. The question I have is about this new truck having an aftermarket turbo on it, and I thought that is a big no no when it comes to 25year imports. This 70 series has a 2h motor with a turbo kit added on, so will this be a issue getting it road legal in Colorado. I live in El Paso county so I would still need to have an epa inspector check out the truck. Anyone know what the exact rules are for this or somewhere I may be able to get the details? Thanks

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
You might run your questions by Exhaust Readers, on N. Nevada. They are one of the diesel emission test places that I have used for 12 years. They might be able to tell you what they look for (or don't). They are straight shooters and are quick and efficient with e-testing diesels.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
In addition to @SteveH suggestion, you may talk to Aksip Diesel Emissions. It's about 40' from my little shop near Rocky's Autos on Federal. It's a small outfit run by a husband and wife who are really nice folks. They have a new truck on the rollers every 15-20 minutes all day - so while they are very busy, they also see a lot of stuff. Might be worth asking there too although you might have to book some time with them. Mornings are less busy as they are with most emissions test centers.

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
Technically illegal. But take it by the state inspection place before buying it. If they give you the cert., buy it & move on with it. If they push back, negotiate a lower price & buy it then convert it to stock & take it back.

Pz10420

Trail Ready
Thanks for the advice. I'd love to just take it in to have it looked over but the truck is out of state. I'll try and get a hold of the guy who did my other diesel inpection and see what his thoughts are on it. I considered pulling the turbo if need be but I think that would be more cost and effort I would want to put into a cruiser just to make it even slower. Haha

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
This is the state diesel inspection location. You could give them a call & chat about it. If they happen to say they will accept it with the turbo. Post up here & let us know. I’ve got several id like to turbo!

On the flip side, I was thinking remove the turbo, get your inspection done & get your compliance/inspection letter, then put the turbo back on later. It would technically be illegal since it goes against the EPA exemption that allows the grey market vehicle to be here, but I don’t think the diesel emissions places even look at the engine once you hand them the certificate to tell them how to test.

Attachments

• 9B331721-5218-425A-973B-359936B22030.jpeg
    9B331721-5218-425A-973B-359936B22030.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 55
  • EE42C311-DEFE-4562-AD09-B5331DFC45B8.jpeg
    EE42C311-DEFE-4562-AD09-B5331DFC45B8.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 64

Pz10420

Trail Ready
I think I still have the phone number of the epa inspector who did my bj71 inspection and he seemed like a pretty good guy and new more about old toyota diesels than I was expecting him to know. I was thinking if I put classic plates on it, then I would only need the emissions done every 5 years then it wouldnt be too bad to pull the turbo off for it. But more thinking and I would probably have to find a non turbo exhaust manifold and do some other exhaust work which would end up being too much of a headache. But I will reach out to the epa inspector and see what he thinks. Cause I do remember him saying that the old turbo diesels usually have an easier time passing the emissions than the non turbo trucks. So maybe that means he'd prefer to let it pass with a turbo on it and putting out less emissions. I will post up after I talk to him and see what his thoughts are. Thanks