Derrick Lewis

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Welcome! It looks like you're not "...sitting in the waiting room!" trying to decide what to do with the thing. Ok, that was a cheesy reference ;)

Seriously though, welcome!

-fugazi

Rock Stacker
Dropped it off this morning. Owner of the blasting place said he had parts from two other LCs on-hand also waiting to get blasted. It stalled on me twice on the way over. Thought I had handled that:mad:. Anyway a crappy before pic...
Before Blast.jpg

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
Welcome! Wallet is open I see. Be ready for all of your money to fall out of it! Worth it.

-fugazi

Rock Stacker
I like the original color better!

My original intention was to paint it mustard, then I was thinking bring it back to the original color (Olive I believe). But there are so many cool FJ40 colors my list is getting longer instead of shorter. It is kind of cool though. Unique for sure.

-fugazi

Rock Stacker
Welcome! Wallet is open I see. Be ready for all of your money to fall out of it! Worth it.
Thanks man. Yeah. That may be an issue. I set some coin aside for this project. Just hope it doesn't run out before I get the seats done. Ha! That would be cool - newly painted - ripped up seats held together with electric tape.

Last edited:

-fugazi

Rock Stacker
My 40 is gone. But this arrived today. My truck is missing the air inlet & hose. Got this from a Mud Member in Steamboat. Think I will drop this off at the master-blaster.
IMG_3097.jpg

-fugazi

Rock Stacker
So I'm working on cleaning up the top for future headliner install. It's kind of like polishing a turd. Here's a pic of before.
Fiberglass 1.jpg

-fugazi

Rock Stacker
Here's half and half. Gives an idea of the improvement, but still ugly. It will be covered with carpet. The only broken bolts from the tear-down were the top. Never was good an screw/bolt extraction. So I drilled it out. Tapped in the extractor. Tried turning the extractor bit with my Crescent, but it was turning around the end, stripping it out. So I decided to use the drill. Broke right off. Now I need to drill out the extractor and tap. The other couple I'm not going to mess with trying to extract.
Fiberglass 2.jpg

Attachments

• Fiberglass 2.jpg
    Fiberglass 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 203

-fugazi

Rock Stacker
Then there is the fiberglass damage. Here's a pic with some linemans for perspective. I'm thinking these need to be patched. I saw some Bondo Resin fiberglass kit on Amazon. I was thinking about giving that a try. Anyone have experience trying to patch these? Any recommendations?
IMG_3127.jpg

simps80

Rising Sun Member
I don’t have firsthand experience with finishing fiberglass...

But Marcos @rover67 82 fj40 refresh thread just below this one starting on post 486 details what he did to patch the sunroof hole and it turned out perfect.

-fugazi

Rock Stacker
My project is at a stand still. Any welders nearby that want some side work? It's completely blasted - so it needs to stay inside. It currently resides in my garage and there is no room to work. Option #1 - I can have it towed to someone nearby if they have the room to garage it while they do the welding work. Option #2 - I can have it towed to my shop in Englewood (warehouse in back) and someone can weld it there. Please let me know if anyone is interested. I would love to get this project back on track
IMG_3246.jpg
IMG_3247.jpg

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Cool project! You're working backwards though. Get all the mechanical stuff done first and drive it a bunch. Then fix rust and paint it. 😉