Derrick Lewis

-fugazi

Rock Stacker
Intro - obviously I'm new here, and also I'm new to Land Cruisers. Name's Jake. I've had various Toyota pick-ups since high-school. Had a FJ Cruiser for a short while. Now I've jumped into this world without really knowing much about it. I've always wanted a FJ40 since my father had one. I thought it was so cool with the jump-seats in the back so me & my sister would sit facing each other, which was super cool, plus it was mustard yellow. I've talked about getting one and fixing it up for years...like 15-20 years. So I was hanging out with a couple guys talking about trucks (Toyotas) and I heard myself saying again that "I'm going to get a 40 someday and fix it up" and realized I'm full of it unless I actually do it. So I did. I did very little research because hunting around for a truck is not my idea of fun. I just wanted to get something, and I found a rig in Austin TX which I purchased and had shipped here. My son said to call it Beck, because Beck is cool. But I kept calling it the Black Beast. I don't feel politically correct walking around saying "Black Beast". So I've changed the name to Derrick Lewis. And hopefully one day soon it will be a legit FJ40 color instead of black. And hopefully one day it won't have a huge hole under the pedals.

I heard about this site from my cousin and thought it would be a good place to post easy questions to get some advice from some veterans as I do a "refresh". So here is the first question....the top is painted dark gray or silver or something. I am taking the truck to get blasted. I am guessing I cannot get the top blasted? If not, how should I remove the paint? Or should I leave it alone and take it to the painters when I take the rest of the truck in? Thanks

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Welcome
Nice user name. Fugazi is one of my favorite bands

-fugazi

Rock Stacker
Here's a pic of my jump-seats. I assume the one on the left is correct and the one on the right is wrong. And it looks like we're missing more than just the fold-down bar. There is a bar around the outside of the one on the left and not the one on the right. But I think I could live with it if I at least had the fold-down bar. Anyone have any spare jump-seat parts for sale?
Jump Seats.jpg

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
You have different jump seats, for different years...Here's a breakdown (stolen from Mud)...

There are 6 total different jump seats.
#1 - 1963 - 1969, long style with 2 bolt holes per a leg
#2 - 1970 - 1973, long style with 1 bolt hole per a leg.
#3 - 1973 - 1975, Short style for roll bar, bad tendency to brake at joints.
#4 - 1976 - 1977, Short style, for roll bar, slightly better bumper design. Still breaks easily
#5 - 1978, short style, excellent for all earlier years, black and has a fold down support leg.
#6 - 1979-1981, short style, It is a bit updated from the 78 style. Steel bottom plate is at edge instead of inset.
#7 - 1982-1985 short style, updated and a smaller fold down leg.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Welcome!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Welcome! Maybe paint stripper or a light sand to get the paint off the hardtop. I just painted over what was already on there when I did mine.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Welcome Jake!
You should post pictures
Don’t have the guy that blasts the body blast the roof
You could probs get away with soda blasting or something but it’s likely not needed..
And whatever the dude that blasts the body uses will be too harsh for the top.

You should let the painter decide what he wants to do with the fiberglass.

-fugazi

Rock Stacker
You have different jump seats, for different years...Here's a breakdown (stolen from Mud)...

There are 6 total different jump seats.
#1 - 1963 - 1969, long style with 2 bolt holes per a leg
#2 - 1970 - 1973, long style with 1 bolt hole per a leg.
#3 - 1973 - 1975, Short style for roll bar, bad tendency to brake at joints.
#4 - 1976 - 1977, Short style, for roll bar, slightly better bumper design. Still breaks easily
#5 - 1978, short style, excellent for all earlier years, black and has a fold down support leg.
#6 - 1979-1981, short style, It is a bit updated from the 78 style. Steel bottom plate is at edge instead of inset.
#7 - 1982-1985 short style, updated and a smaller fold down leg.

Thanks for the info. I will leave the seats alone for now.

-fugazi

Rock Stacker
Welcome Jake!
You should post pictures
Don’t have the guy that blasts the body blast the roof
You could probs get away with soda blasting or something but it’s likely not needed..
And whatever the dude that blasts the body uses will be too harsh for the top.

You should let the painter decide what he wants to do with the fiberglass.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Thanks Mike. Pics coming soon.

-fugazi

Rock Stacker
Found this under the carpet. Raising my stress level (this isn't supposed to be stressful)....
Rusty 1.jpg

-fugazi

Rock Stacker
And now I think I'm ready for the master-blaster. Unless I'm missing something.
Stripped 3.jpg

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
are those wood dash pads? Never seen that before, cool.