Derailleur replacement

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Mrs Jacket's old mtn bike has been sitting in the garage for about a year with a broken rear derailleur. It's old and the bike has been replaced, but I'd like to get it road worthy again for cruising around town and stuff. The derailleur is a Shimano Deore XT that was originally installed. I found the part number, but was curious how interchangable derailleurs are, and what the considerations should be for replacing it. I read somewhere to stick with Shimano since it's best to align their cable config with matching mechanical parts, but otherwise what else do I need to know to find a replacement part? Or should I just order the same part number that broke and call it good?

subzali

Hard Core 4+
-You need to know how many gears it needs to be (duh I guess)
-There are long and short pattern derailleurs. I'm not sure about that one but ask Dave :)

Other than that I think it should be bolt-on? If you have the part number and can still find it I would just replace it with that.

coax

Hard Core 4+
Late follow up, but my understanding is that for the derailleurs, they are really only compatible within their speed family AND their Usage (mtn/road). My suspicion is that although the shifiting is indexed in the shifter and not the derailleur, the linkages in the derailleur have changed to match the cable pull in the shifter.

Exception is for the 8/9 speed as they used the same gear spacing so believe you can swap between the two.

A good quick summary here: https://bike.bikegremlin.com/1278/bicycle-rear-derailleur-compatibility/

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Late follow up, but my understanding is that for the derailleurs, they are really only compatible within their speed family AND their Usage (mtn/road). My suspicion is that although the shifiting is indexed in the shifter and not the derailleur, the linkages in the derailleur have changed to match the cable pull in the shifter.

Exception is for the 8/9 speed as they used the same gear spacing so believe you can swap between the two.

A good quick summary here: https://bike.bikegremlin.com/1278/bicycle-rear-derailleur-compatibility/
What a confusing mess.