• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Damn you Subzali - Looking for a new camera, Compact vs DSLR

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I bought the Sony TX10 several years ago to protect against dust and dirt on the trails. It takes OK pictures, not as good as Sarah's point and shoot Lumix I bought her a few years ago. This is all because of the lens being unmovable and protected

images

I have been wanting a better camera. Years ago I had a 35MM Minolta SLR and even had a Dark Room in my basement. I was taking a photography course in High School and even was planning on being a photographer. Then I went on a wedding shoot with my Instructor and quickly put that career idea behind me. I think I made the right choice being an engineer instead.

I have forgotten all I learned and just went with the Point and shoots. I had Nikon, Kodak, Lumix and now Sony. The Lumix took the best pictures, but the Sony has held up the best even when I dropped it.

I was looking at the sales on DSLRs, the Nikon 3300 and 5300 look like good deals right now. I decided I needed to define what I wanted out of a camera:

• Quality Images,
  • Use also as a Video Camera
  • Be Compact
  • Have stabilization built in
  • Simple to use, don't have to always think about what Fstop or film speed to use

The compact item has me looking away from DSLRs. I want to be able to reach into my pocket and take out my camera on the trail or on vacation. I carried around my video camera on a trip in Europe and it was a pain. I see the DSLR being just as much a pain (relative) to my experience with the video camera.

Doing a search I found the Sony RX100 (now on version 3) is the best Compact out there.
pSNYNA-DSCRX100M3~B_main_v500.png

pSNYNA-DSCRX100M3~B_alternate3_v500.png

pSNYNA-DSCRX100M3~B_alternate4_v500.png

• It has stabilization for video and photos
  • Larger 1" sensor (Largest of compacts)
  • Takes beautiful HD Video (sample linked)
  • WIFI for easy transfers
  • Simple to use, has 12modes for different types of settings rather than thinking about Fstop, I would just think about mode.
  • And a lot more

Lumix has the LX100 and there is a Canon GX7 which is rated much lower

It isn't cheap, much more than a DSLR unless I buy the version 1 (still for sale)

It is my desire to remain compact AND to have both Video and Photo camera with stabilization that is driving me to this selection. I know most of you don't have issues carrying the gear and like having the other lenses to create more photographic opportunities and special shots.

Here is a review of the Camera

It is rated by all the major review sites as the best Compact out there and many reviews say it would be hard to tell most images from that taken with a DSLR, especially for the average Joe.

The video is excellent and much better quality than my current video camera

Right now going back and forth between versions 1, 2 and 3. 3 is pretty expensive, but I can get version 1 (2 years old) for less than $400

Just posting up my thoughts and what I am thinking of doing. I know this goes against the DSLR path others are following

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Lolz :D

My wife loves her Sony Cybershot, and that looks like a pretty neato camera you've posted there.

Sounds to me like if you want compact and simple to use, then you don't want a DSLR right now.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
ditto on the dslr being a pain. i still carry my cybershot and use it just as much as the dslr because dragging the big camera around is a pita

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I ended up buying a used one of these cameras. Spent the last few days going through review after review looking at sample video shots etc,

All 3 models have similar photo quality, the two newer ones have better Video. I was going to get the M2 (not the current version) when a used latest version (M3) was advertised. Don't really like buying used, but this company had perfect feedback on ebay and the price was right.

Can't wait to get it and see what it can do. It will replace both my video and regular camera

Last edited:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Was fortunate on two counts:

The ebay seller lived in Louisville so I received it today

And

It came in perfect condition with no scratches, scuffs etc. It's only been out for a few months so I know it isn't that old. Everything seems to work fine. I am also glad I saved $300 off of buying it at Best Buy

Thinking I should keep my Sony TX-10 as it is waterproof and weatherproof and has stood up fine to the dust of Moab, which my Kodak croaked on

I will be spending some times over the Holidays learning how to best use this new camera

Attachments

• camera.JPG
    camera.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 315

subzali

Hard Core 4+
looks nice Ken, I bet you'll like it.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
That's a great camera. I have a coworker who has one, and she takes great photos with it.