• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Custom steel shims?

Cresso

Anyone know of a good source for some steel axle shims to fix caster? Every time I go to 4crawler.com, it seems he's either not accepting orders at all or massively delayed (currently, delayed until April). I've ordered from Rocky Road in the past, but that took about 6 weeks. Is there another option that won't take quite that long?

Thanks! :beer:

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
grinder?

I have some aluminum ones you can have for free.

Cresso

I'd prefer to stick with steel, especially since the amount of caster correction is so high. 6 degrees for an HFS 4" lift w/ extended shackles. Sounds like a lot, huh?

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I'd prefer to stick with steel, especially since the amount of caster correction is so high. 6 degrees for an HFS 4" lift w/ extended shackles. Sounds like a lot, huh?

That does seem like a lot. I have a 4" lift and extended shackles as well and I measured/figured 4 degrees, which 4 crawler had in stock and I had in hand within a few days. Remember to get the extended spring pins too.

Cresso

That does seem like a lot. I have a 4" lift and extended shackles as well and I measured/figured 4 degrees, which 4 crawler had in stock and I had in hand within a few days. Remember to get the extended spring pins too.

Sitting on flat concrete in my garage, it has between 2.5 and 3 degrees of negative caster. I'm aiming for about 3 degrees of positive caster. I've heard that 1 degree positive is stock, but that a little more than that can make it track nicer with bigger tires. Please someone correct me if those numbers sound way off.

Good call on the pins. I'll get those, too.

wesintl

RS Moderator
just get the 4" ones or cut and turn the axle :p:

Cresso

I already have 4 degree shims, but my numbers would appear to indicate that wouldn't be quite sufficient for ideal caster. Not true?

wesintl

RS Moderator
Depends on how bad it is and how accurate your measurement. Buy a cut and turned axle housing. Better solution to shims anyway. If anything you want a little on the + side with larger tires.

how large is the shackle?

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
that really seems weird. i had 4" skyjackers with advanced handling kit and 1 1/2 over shackles in the front with 4 degree shims and no problems.

Cresso

I'll take it to an alignment shop before settling on a specific shim size. It's entirely possible I'm not measuring it correctly. Thanks for all the help!

wesintl

RS Moderator
just buy a magnet stick dial degree indicator. you put it on the top of the knuckle or try and get it as close to flat if you can where the arm bolts on the knuckle. Clear a mud?

Cresso

just buy a magnet stick dial degree indicator. you put it on the top of the knuckle or try and get it as close to flat if you can where the arm bolts on the knuckle. Clear a mud?

That's exactly how I did it, except I couldn't find a flat enough spot on the top, so I used the straight edge along the bottom. ~2.75 degrees of negative caster, using that method. I'd try driving around with the 4 degree shims I have, but I mistakenly purchased the weld-on style. Getting the measurement right the first time would be easier than grinding those things off if they don't do the trick. i'm not sure I want to risk a test drive with 'em just tacked on.