Cruise Moab Trail Leader/Gunner pre-run weekend - March 19-21, 2021

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Cruise Moab Trail Leader/Gunner pre-run weekend - March 19-21, 2021
(With the blessings of the Cruise Moab event but not an organized event of Cruise Moab. Just a bunch of eager folks preparing!)

Purpose: Pre-run trails so you can help lead and tailgun CM trail runs.

Definitions: There is a “Leader” and a “Gunner.” I call them “co-leaders.” Both provide critical functions.

Dates: 3/19-21. Drive out Thursday night if possible. Meet us Friday night if not. (That weekend because 3/13 -14 is Trail Leader Training with Bill Burke and 3/28 EJS (Easter jeep Safari) starts.

What we’ll do: Pre-run a trail you never ran but want to lead. Pre-run a trail you have not done in a while to see its condition. Lead a pre run of a trail you know to future leaders to practice leading. In this group we will have people who have done them all. Tail-gun a trail to practice tail gunning. Gather at the campfire, socially distanced, and teach leading. Have fun!

The primary focus will be to run trails you will be leading/gunning at CM 2021. We'll also talk a lot about how we lead at CM. Its quite different than other events or clubs. Rising Sun trail leadership is excellent!

We run 1-2 trails per day Friday and Saturday and one Sunday AM optional, or just head home. In the evenings you’ll bring your dinner to the campfire and we will talk about how we lead trails and share war stories. It will be fun and educational. I will be teaching from a 7 page syllabus about trail leading.

Don't go if you will not be leading or gunning at CM 2021. Its not a “lets go wheeling” weekend. Its a mission. If you have never been to CM you won’t be leading this year, no pre-run for you (unless you are already an experienced leader and need to learn a trail, and plan to volunteer to lead at CM 2021)

For trails we typically run, see: https://www.cruisemoab.com/trail-descriptions/

No size limit to this pre-run.

Where we stay is TBD.

Post up if you will attend and what trails you want to run (if you know, we can chose when we are out there)

But wait – are we even having Cruise Moab this year? I have been authorized to say yes, and that all your questions will be answered in https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/cruise-moab-2021-registration.30320/ so don’t ask here. :risingsun

Last edited:

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
@Inukshuk I haven't yet attended a CM, but I'd like to go this year if I get a spot. I did do Moab last October when we stayed at BeachBoy's backyard. I'd be proud to lead or tail gun.

But reading the post, it sounds like I should sit this one out. Just wanna double check.

Allen

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I haven't yet attended a CM, but I'd like to go this year if I get a spot. I did do Moab last October when we stayed at BeachBoy's backyard. I'd be proud to lead or tail gun. But reading the post, it sounds like I should sit this one out. Just wanna double check.

Allen

One thing we always say is the requirements for a tail gunner are essentially the same as for a trail leader. That's because a trail leader could have a mechanical breakdown, get sick or incapacitated, or have another reason that they can't lead. The tail gunner should be capable of stepping up to lead with no question that they know the trail and are ready to lead the group. What has happened many times is that the tail gunner ends up becoming the trail leader in the middle of the trail, and leads out most of the group while the original leader stays on the trail with a broken truck and its owner.

In the real world, we do have tail gunners who aren't quite ready to lead trails. But this weekend is meant to pre-run trails for the folks who plan to lead trails.

How this provides more clarity into this. We're not trying to filter out experienced leaders who could probably lead a trail at the 2021 event. If you've been to Moab and have wheeled on some other official Rising Sun trail rides -- especially if you've led trails -- you're sufficiently experienced to lead a trail run at Cruise Moab. In this case, you're welcome and encouraged to attend this pre-run!

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Planning to attend the pre-run. Looking forward to the refresher!

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Awesome!! Well I'll plan on attending the pre-run :D

Thanks @Hulk for the explanation. Makes a lot of sense. And thanks @RayRay27 for the guidelines.

I guess I'll also be getting a CB setup soon. I've been just using ham and GMRS/FRS walkies for coms till now. If any major recommendations out there for CBs, I'm all ears (please PM me, I don't mean to blow up this thread with unrelated jibber jabber).

Oh and if I can help with organizing or something, I volunteer!

Allen

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Here’s a little ditty Kurt and I put together a few years back. It was live, so there’s some stuff you can scoot over. Definitely skip the first minute.

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
I going to try and make this, I’ve lead trails for years and would be happy to share what I know.

If anyone wants to lead/gun the following trails and wants a guide let me know.

Kane Creek
Poison Spider
Golden Spike
Cliff Hanger
Behind the Rocks
Hells Revenge
Fins

If I don’t know the trail we can figure it out, any trail except Pritchett!

LXBRADY

Hard Core 4+
I'd love to talk/listen about those and then practice them. But idk which to choose. Open to your guidance.

Allen

Have you been to Moab? What trails have you run?

If not what trails here in CO have you run?

Also what do you drive, modified or stock?

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
@LXBRADY I did fins & things, hell's revenge, and jackson hole last October. Lost my stock rear bumper out there, it was good fun. Idk if the San Rafael Swell G&C counts??

Around CO I've done slaughter house, flat tops g&c, and geneva creek.

My 3rd gen taco is mostly stock. Mainly building and modding as necessary. For example the rear bumper. Also I put on and happily use a pair of slee sliders, asfir skid plates, and 31" ko2s. Otherwise it's pretty stock.

Allen

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Bump for attention. If interest is low I'll stay home or join the swell trip. Camping location in town is available.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I can’t make the pre-run.
sorry

Hants

Rising Sun Member
I’m still in... maybe a solo pre-run?

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Sorry guys, can't make the prerun. I can only get time off for cruise moab right now.