• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Cruise Moab 2022: new FRS & Ham channels - Please review!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
The only thing I noticed is Jax Trax and Gemini Bridge are on the same Ham frequency. Not sure if these two trails are far enough from each other but if we are running FRS it may not matter?

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The only thing I noticed is Jax Trax and Gemini Bridge are on the same Ham frequency. Not sure if these two trails are far enough from each other but if we are running FRS it may not matter?
Gemini Bridges is way north (near Metal Masher and Gold Bar Rim). Jax Trax is south (like Behind the Rocks). Pretty sure there will be no interference.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Just took a hasty look and haven't seen anything obvious so far.

FRS isn't going to be a big problem with overlap due to relatively low power and all of that. GMRS is like ham, so if the frequency plan for that hasn't had any issue then it shouldn't be with GMRS.

I would mention that even if you guys do all your due diligence and come up with a great plan FRS/GMRS is going to be have a lot more non-event users and there's no rule that say just because you're an organized and hold a permit that you get the channel. So you probably want to designate your primary and at least one preselected alternate. If they are both busy then you'll probably just want to monitor for real time traffic and pick a quiet one.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Alternate channel is a good idea. Do you think we need to specify it or let trail leaders pick one?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Alternate channel is a good idea. Do you think we need to specify it or let trail leaders pick one?
It doesn't have to be too complex. I'd probably just suggest using a standard rule to always step up one channel at a time if the primary is busy (you'd wrap around from 22 back to 1 at the end). The point IMO is to just have some kind of a starting point if for some reason you'd need to figure it out if you're sending assistance (e.g. driving out a trailer) or to give to EMS or SAR.

Stepmurr

Wincher
Repeaterbook list three Ham repeaters near Moab (146.760, 146.900, 449.100) - does anyone know if they are still working?

I don't see any GMRS repeaters - does anyone know of one near Moab?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Repeaterbook list three Ham repeaters near Moab (146.760, 146.900, 449.100) - does anyone know if they are still working?
449.100 works. It's part of a linked Grand Mesa Repeater Association system. This system is primarily in and around western Colorado (Grand Junction, Rifle, Montrose, Glenwood, Telluride).

The GMRA system is in some flux since Al, WA4HND, is SK recently and he took care of it. We still use the system for ou county ARES, though.

146.760 and 146.900 work. They're part of the Sinbad linked system

There is another repeater in Moab, 447.500, that works on the Skyhub linked system. I have not personally used it yet. I do use the Skyhub system and AFAIK it's working as expected.
I don't see any GMRS repeaters - does anyone know of one near Moab?
I don't personally know of any GMRS repeaters in Moab. That's not to say there aren't any. Just don't know.

Stepmurr

Wincher
449.100 works. It's part of a linked Grand Mesa Repeater Association system. This system is primarily in and around western Colorado (Grand Junction, Rifle, Montrose, Glenwood, Telluride).

The GMRA system is in some flux since Al, WA4HND, is SK recently and he took care of it. We still use the system for ou county ARES, though.

146.760 and 146.900 work. They're part of the Sinbad linked system

There is another repeater in Moab, 447.500, that works on the Skyhub linked system. I have not personally used it yet. I do use the Skyhub system and AFAIK it's working as expected.

I don't personally know of any GMRS repeaters in Moab. That's not to say there are or are not any. Just don't know.
Thanks for the confirmation!

I'll program the repeaters into my Yaesu.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Thanks for the confirmation!

I'll program the repeaters into my Yaesu.
I should have mentioned that they're all analog with the possible exception of the Moab 447.100, which may be Fusion or DMR. Not 100% sure of that. I can find out and update.

This is the GMRA (not GRMS) system in Utah:
447.100, 107.2, Abajo Peak (Monticello)
449.100, 107.2, Bald Mesa (Moab)

The Sinbad system: https://sdarc.us/?page_id=37

The Skyhub system: https://skyhublink.com/repeaters/

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I don' have much input on the plan but agree that at least have ng a strategy for FRS alternates could be good. Would possibly help somebody who can’t hear anything “find” the group again.