• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

For Sale (Crosspost from MUD) 1200 Mile Complete, Running, Drivetrain. 383 Stroker, NV4500, Marlin Toybox, 34MM Split Case

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
As some of you may know, I just recently finished my 40, and I already am feeling like it is time for some changes, mainly in the suspension. I'm wanting to link the rear, but my driveline is too long to get any effective link system in there, so I am looking to change. My loss is your gain, I guess. I'm posting this as a feeler to see if anyone is interested in a drop-in driveline that is tested and known. You could even drive it before you decide you want it.

Anyways, specs. Everything has been 100% professionally rebuilt, I have all receipts in hand. The engine has been dyno tested, and I have complete specs on it. I currently have ~1200 miles on everything. You are getting a basically new drivetrain.

What you get:

Engine: SBC 383 Stroker.
-Sealed Power Pistons ( Don't remember how much it was bored over)
-Clevite Main Bearings
-Durabond cam bearings
-NEW Melling HD oil pump
-Comp Cam and lifters (I'll add a photo of cam card)
-Scat Cast Stroker Crank
-ARP Intake and Head Studs
-New Cast Aftermarket Vortec (062 spec) heads.
-NGK Plugs
- Proform Valve Covers
-Dual Plane Intake
-Holley Sniper 4150 EFI
-Holley Hyperspark Ignition and Distributor
-New High Output Alternator, Starter, A/C Compressor, Water Pump, Power Steering Pump.
-180 Degree Thermostat.

This engine is dyno tested at 400 HP & 450 TQ at 7,000 feet in elevation. It was built for torque, and the torque curve is really great from idle.

Transmission: 1999 GM K2500 NV4500 (5.61 first, synchronized)
-New 3rd gear
-New 5th gear
-Complete rebuild, all bearings, synchros, etc.
-Have ONLY run AMSOIL 75W-90 Synthetic gear oil in this case.
-OEM Shifter

Doubler : Marlin Toybox (# 009 or 600) 2.2:1
-Rebuilt by Georg @ Valley Hybrids.
-Marlin Shifter

Transfer Case: 34MM Idler Split Case (2.3: 1)
-Rebuilt by Georg @ Valley Hybrids.
-Georg Twinstick Shifters

Centerforce clutch, with new OEM FJ40 Slave Cylinder

Holley In-Tank 255 LPH regulated fuel pump, with a massive chunk of Holley Hydramat.

Frostbite 3 core radiator

AA Jeep Conversion Long-Tube headers

New Severe duty fan and fan clutch (installed ~500 miles ago)

I have over 18K (With receipts) invested into this setup. I'm willing to negotiate, so if you are interested, let's talk! As an added bonus, you get an amazing crawl ratio out of this; I'm currently at 156:1.

20201221_144601.jpg

20210304_202521.jpg

20201221_145522.jpg

20211213_114008.jpg

20210109_173125.jpg

20201217_125536.jpg

20210104_163022.jpg

Last edited:

Telly

Rising Sun Member
This would be sweeter in my 1970 C10 short bed minus the tcase!

Last edited:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
383 and an NV4500 is what I have in my 40 and it rides smooth at 75 on the highway with great pickup. Had my setup coming on 8 years and still very happy with it

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
383 and an NV4500 is what I have in my 40 and it rides smooth at 75 on the highway with great pickup. Had my setup coming on 8 years and still very happy with it

I do really like this setup. It cruises great on the highway and is plenty slow in the rocks. All the power you could really want. It's just a little too long in a 40.

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
I'm also open to offers on just the toybox and splitcase if anyone is interested. I have someone questioning about it, but I would much rather keep it within the state if possible. Shipping can be a pain.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I didnt notice before looks like you have the front end single belt setup. I had to add that to mine after replacing a belt. with individual belts it was a real pain. I think that about $1000??

I am really happy with my setup. I havent found a short rear shaft to be a problem. In Fact I have an extra as I was troubleshooting a problem that turned out to be a damaged pinion

5th gear is smooth at easily due 80 with no issues
New Front end 1.jpg

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
I didnt notice before looks like you have the front end single belt setup. I had to add that to mine after replacing a belt. with individual belts it was a real pain. I think that about $1000??

I am really happy with my setup. I havent found a short rear shaft to be a problem. In Fact I have an extra as I was troubleshooting a problem that turned out to be a damaged pinion

5th gear is smooth at easily due 80 with no issues
View attachment 101049

Yep, I am running a serpentine setup from a 95 Serria 1500. My main concern with the rear shaft length is I'm wanting to link the rear, and I'm afraid I'm going to either run out of slip or start to max the joints, so I'd like to decrease the angle if possible.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
:unsure: Would it be more cost effective to just start a new buggy build from scratch? ;)