Cow bell under truck?

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
What gives with hanging a cow bell under the front bumper of your truck?

I've seen several of these over the years, and cannot fathom why you'd want some extra clunking/clanking sounds on a truck.

Has anyone else seen this/done this/understood this?

Steve

Beater

Hard Core 4+
if you notice, most of those equal the lowest point on the truck (pumpkin) and in front of that...

I guess some people can't remember the giant bang from the the first time they hit it on a rock

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Old school.
Back when articulation equalled about 12". And GMC pickups had diffs made of tin. Or something.
These days I think it is just imitation. Redneck bling-bling.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
They do seem to be typically mounted on full size Jeep Wagoneers ('91 and earlier) and old Blazers. The idea is so strikingly moronic, it may be the ideological equivalent of 'front mounted truck nuts'. Thanks, I guess!

Steve

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
let's face it, it's because...

we need more cowbell :hill:

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
if you notice, most of those equal the lowest point on the truck (pumpkin) and in front of that...

I guess some people can't remember the giant bang from the the first time they hit it on a rock

Yep and back in the day, before someone came up with the idea for sliders, we would mount curb feelers up underneath in such a way as to let us know we were getting close to the rocker panel. Talk about GOB bling :cool:

Last edited:

Nemo

Trail Ready
Truth be told that when I worked on our farm in Louisiana we had those on the front of the truck to get the attention of the cows from far away. I believe that is the roots of it and it has somehow made it's way to "cool"

MHO of course :D

wesintl

RS Moderator
Truth be told that when I worked on our farm in Louisiana we had those on the front of the truck to get the attention of the cows from far away. I believe that is the roots of it and it has somehow made it's way to "cool"

MHO of course :D

That's the reason. The Cow are trained to know when they here that bell it's time to come in/gather round. If your on a large farm you don't want to drive all around. Some now are trained to hear the horn of a truck vs a cow bell.

I was on a horse that wasn't fully broke and he knew that cow bell was feeding time. While I was out riding he heard that thing a mile away. I was in for a ride and only made it halfway back before he bucked me off.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
They do seem to be typically mounted on full size Jeep Wagoneers ('91 and earlier) and old Blazers. The idea is so strikingly moronic, it may be the ideological equivalent of 'front mounted truck nuts'. Thanks, I guess!

Now that's funny. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
I'm with Ige. WE NEED MORE COWBELL!

You know what? I see more cowbells on trucks than on cows these days. Maybe it is time to start calling them "truck bells."

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I think I've figured out what Spanky's new bling is gonna be.
Now we have the answer to "Pimp my ride!!!"

Ya think we could call the RS meeting to order with a cowbell maybe?:hill:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I think I've figured out what Spanky's new bling is gonna be.
Now we have the answer to "Pimp my ride!!!"

Ya think we could call the RS meeting to order with a cowbell maybe?:hill:

Nothing else works might as well give it a try! I like the "Spanky's new Bell" concept! Trouble is he will have to relevel his truck again! :lmao: :hill:

PabloCruise

Hard Core 4+
Guys,

MoreCowbell.jpg

In Idaho we made folks who had to get strapped or winch wear a cowbell on their rig until the next time they were on the trail and someone else had to be strapped or winched. One year at our Day After Turkey Day Run we had a rubber turkey that was passed from rig to rig. Sometimes it would get passed before one vehicle was unstuck.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
What a great idea!! Anyone who breaks a part at CM has to hang a cowbell under their rig for the day.:D

Hmmm. Mebbe we need a bunch of cowbells.:confused:

Naw. It ain't Easter Jeep...:lmao: