• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Concept: 2020 Fly Swap and wheeling Trip

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Calling all fly tiers! I don't know how many other fly tiers are here, so throwing it out there also including fly fisher folks in general too.

A few buddies and I have done this over the years with tying, not a unique idea to us by any means.

We all tie up a dozen or so of a versatile pattern that we like to think of as a "go to" of the last year, or something river/stream specific that works well.

We meet up and swap flies. Sometimes we go hit an area to fish and then camp out after. But could spin this into an RS style event.

Initial thoughts would to pick a location, tie flies for the area, meet and trade said flies, and then go wheel and fish for the day before meeting back at a designated camp location and some kind of points system and a winners board.

Like a fishing scavenger hunt where everyone is equalized with a bunch of flies everyone else has tied, with camping and wheeling included.

chaos

Rising Sun Member
Sounds like a great idea. I would be totally up for this. Trout and Trails!