compression test - 80 series

WVU fan

Rising Sun Member
Never done myself on any vehicle or had a compression test done. '97 w/135K, runs fine but I feel like it is a little sluggish on the interstate inclines although my mpg is consistent. Would you share your input on worth paying to get it done or difficulty level to do it yourself? I am willing to pay/provide help and beer to see how it is done if someone is willing and we can get schedules to match up.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Have you bumped the timing a little bit? We live at altitude so you can use a bit more timing than stock and not risk pinging even with regular fuel. That'll help power a tiny bit. I bet compression is fine but it's easy to do. if you can change a spark plug you can do it.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Can you provide a bit more context? Are you lifted, re-geared, SC/turbo/naturally exasperated - no I didn't spell that incorrectly. Has this been an issue for a while or something new?

WVU fan

Rising Sun Member
OME 2.5", nothing else modified. I would say something new. More curious and thinking precautionary due to its age.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I'd say the mileage has more of an effect on compression than age... that is unless it was stored in a way that allowed cylinder walls to rust for example. I think you drive it a decent amount so that kind of make the rust issue irrelevant. Compression test would also show low with bad valves for example... but my guess is you are fine on all that.