• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Come-along recommendations?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I personally think it should be on the first to purchase recovery gear list. It's so versitile!
Do leather or good synthetic work gloves count as recovery gear? Don't leave home without them!

MATPHAT

Lifted
I gotcha. Well, I guess thats enough to justify some investment in self recovery gear.

If it were my money i'd probably be looking to get a winch. I imagine you could get one setup for under 300 if you're willing to do some work yourself and can forgo adding stiffer springs.
Doesn't that assume a bumper though? I'm running stock.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
There are quite a few "hidden winch" mounts for most of the Toyota 4x4s these days which vary in cost but are a lot, lot less than a bumper.

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
Doesn't that assume a bumper though? I'm running stock.
Nope. You can just get a universal mount for like 50 bucks from harbor freight and an el cheapo winch for about 200-250.

An even cheaper option is to just get a piece of 3/8 plate to span the frame and mount the winch to it. Then weld a bracket on to mount the fairlead.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
There are quite a few "hidden winch" mounts for most of the Toyota 4x4s these days which vary in cost but are a lot, lot less than a bumper.
Make sure you can see eth winch rope on the drum! Its important!

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
https://www.wyeth-scott.com/

I don't have a ton of experience but well worn Wyeth-Scott is all I've ever seen on fire and utility trucks. US-made, really stout and you can get them spooled with Amsteel if you want to save a bit of weight.

View attachment 94369

BTW, not sure if you already have a Hi-Lift but they can be configured to work as a come-along. It's tedious pulling yourself along 3 feet at a time and resetting but carrying extra rigging is minimal if you already have the jack.

I have one of the Wyeth hand winches and it works very well for what it is. I use it more when falling difficult trees but bring it as a back-up recovery tool on occasion wheeling.

MATPHAT

Lifted
Nope. You can just get a universal mount for like 50 bucks from harbor freight and an el cheapo winch for about 200-250.

An even cheaper option is to just get a piece of 3/8 plate to span the frame and mount the winch to it. Then weld a bracket on to mount the fairlead.
I'm blown away. I didn't know that existed. I'll have to look in to it.