Colorado trails that are open now (March/April) near the front range area

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
A friend of mine with a new 4Runner wants me to take him wheeling. I'm thinking that is a good idea, but what trails are not snowed in right now? I don't mind driving a few hours to the trail head but I'm not looking for an overnighter right now. Any suggestions?

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We are supposed to get 10 to 14 inches of snow tomorrow in Conifer. That might make it difficult for another week or so unless more snow comes next week. So, no suggestions right now. Sorry bro.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Slaughterhouse can sometimes be pretty dry, until the next snowstorm comes :)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Slaughterhouse can sometimes be pretty dry, until the next snowstorm comes :)
I think it is closed for the winter, isn't it?

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Huh? I didn’t think they had a gate on slaughterhouse? I know I’ve been up there in February.

Oh well, when it snows there’s always yankee hill!

Cocarlisle

Hard Core 4+
I might be heading up to Yankee tomorrow just to get out
If I do I’ll let you know

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
We could maybe run Stony Pass this weekend. Lets watch the snow fall. It snot so high up that its usually enough to be fun. I've driven it in a Subaru in winter before.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Huh? I didn’t think they had a gate on slaughterhouse? I know I’ve been up there in February.

Oh well, when it snows there’s always yankee hill!

Slaughterhouse seasonal closures have changed every year for the past several years. They were using signage rather than gates and most people were ignoring the signs and driving on it anyway. They can't really lock the gate at the bottom because there are a couple of houses behind it.

Anyway, last time I was up there (last year) the closure signs were gone. I just checked the NF website and found nothing about seasonal closures there. The latest MVUM (2018) shows it as NOT under seasonal closure: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd575442.pdf

That is GREAT news!!! :)

subzali

Hard Core 4+

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Cool! I will have to check that one out sometime! I believe I've seen it but IIRC there was a gate across it (in summer) when I last went by. Maybe due to one of the fire burns in that area?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I will be checking on and staying at a cabin Saturday night near Bailey. They have about 12" new snow in that area. Stony could be fun and I'm not interested in the higher-elevation potential challenge of Slaughterhouse. @J1000 and I have PMd. Others PM too. Not terribly interested in anything else nor do I think we have too many options.