• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

COHVCO Meeting Aug 28th

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I attended the COHVCO meeting at Fay Myers on East Arapahoe Road. This may be a bit rambly, I typed as we talked.:D

There were more people from COHVCO then Clubs. Colorado Land Cruisers was here and a crawler group. Stay the trail was also there. 18 people were present. There was a call in and a link to follow the presentation so not sure who else was online.

There was also a person representing Trails Preservation Alliance (TPA) ColoradoTPA.org They are a 100% volunteer org composed of motorcycle trail riders to prserve trails in Colorado

The purpose of the meeting was for State and Wildlife to help figure out funding sources for projects

There was a discussion on pay to play where the mountain bikers were the biggest complaint. Most of the 4 WD drive clubs help with trail maintenance. ATVs buy an OHV stickers. Some trails require an OHV sticker for trucks as well.

Possibly a new sales tax, reallocating an existing sales tax or adding a registration fee to use the trails.

there is about $4.3M available in grants each year. There are typically 50 competitive applications. They typically fund about 30-35. Stay the trail is funded out of the available $$ Colorado Parks and wildlife uses the $$ from the OHV stickers and Colorado gas task (Fed Tax $300K).

These don't do all that is required to maintain the trails

So Bikes don't buy gas or get OHV stickers and they use our trails without contributing. Our $$ can't be used on non vehicle trails per state laws

The presenter was 30 minutes late. She is with the meridian institute hired by Colorado Parks and wildlife to do a study

Outdoor recreation is big in Colorado and growing with lots of conflicts.

They are going to talk to all groups and issue a report end of Sept. Includes bird watchers, bike riders, hikers, offroad etc

The report will provide a list of ideas on additional funding mechanisms. That is what this was all about.

These ideas will include additional fees, taxes, licenses, voluntary contributions, donations etc.

discussed model in other states were 1/8 of 1% sales tax goes to this area. They said it is challenging with Tabor.

They discussed re-allocating existing tax from outdoor gear to go for this. Need to clearly define gear. Potential to add tax

Reallocate or add tax generated by people moving into the state. A Hotel and resort tax or allocation

Tabor kept coming up as holding back all these ideas

Then they discussed FEEs using park passes, vehicle registration fees.

One idea would add a fee on car registration and not require a parks pass for Colorado registered car. They do this in Montana

A discussion on fees had to do with Recreational shooters who have become a problem with cleanup. Trails and campgrounds are getting cleaner

Someone suggested a Ski tax, but other mentioned they have a strong lobby that would shoot that down.

Potential idea to buy a $5 sticker for any outdoor activity

Then a short discussion bonds and not being the right choice due to complex tax laws

They discussed Corporate sponsorships and getting donations. Donations is something Rising Sun does well.

The club members here said our priority is to gain access, the study is about generating revenue with no description how it would be used.

A member of Colorado Parks and Wildlife threw out a what if to purchase access if you want to go somewhere, no real description on this.

A couple of us (myself included) stated raising revenue with no discussion on how it would be used was a non starter. meaning if we raised a $1M how would we know it would be spent on keeping trails open vs marketing to bring more out of state tourists in or closing a trail except to hikers.

After a few dirt roads we came back to adding purchase fees for boats, bikes etc. Complaint is we pay for the trail with gas, donations and maintenance and they use the trails with no skin in the game.

They then discussed how they feel 56% of the Forest service budget is allocated to fire fighting and maybe get FEMA to pick that up.

The bottom line is this company has a charter to define how to create additional funding sources and that is what the report they will submit will focus on and not what things we feel we need them to do for the trails with the $$.

Attachments

• IMG_0522.JPG
    IMG_0522.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 257

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Battery getting lo. I will post up if there is more worth posting

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
thanks ken! :thumb:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
So I suggested an idea like go fund me done by Colorado Parks and Rec. I said I would not vote for a tax with no specifics what is used for , but if I saw on face book a group was going up to work a specific trail with specific needs I would click the donate button to fund that

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Suggestion that Colorado Parks and Wildlife take a more active role brokering with the Forrest service, groups, states etc

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Thanks Ken! Very informative! This has me wanting to dig into it more and see what else is going on and what I can do to help.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Thanks Ken for attending and giving such a thorough report. It is very interesting and informative. There's a lot to take in.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Thanks a lot Ken, great notes, it's a lot to take in indeed. Good to see the root is about finding funding to do stuff instead of just closing things off that the budget can't manage.

Thanks again,

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Leaving now for cruiserfest so wont make the meeting. Not sure if you want to bring it up at the meeting