Classic Plates Mileage Limit

battmrown

New-ish
I'm not condoning/contemplating anything illegal here, I'm just curious if anyone has ever gone over the 4500 mi/yr (22500 miles in the 5 years) limit for the classic tags or knows the consequences of doing so? The affidavit states "under penalty of perjury" but I'm wondering if that is something that's really enforced? I just passed smog ( :beer::beer:) and am finally eligible, so I'm mostly just curious with a slight rebellious streak in me.

Last edited:

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Following .... I’ve wondered about this too. Daily driving a 60 gives me all kinds of crazy thoughts.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
I've owned many classic plated vehicles and no one has ever inspected the odometer or asked for the mileage at registration. Also, at renewal there is no place to acknowledge mileage. However, when going through smog your mileage is recorded and if you went over the limit in that 5 year span and had to re smog they would potentially know if they did the math.

Pz10420

Trail Ready
How old does a vehicle have to be to get classic plates?

battmrown

New-ish
How old does a vehicle have to be to get classic plates?
From the DMV website:

Vehicles must be (a) Model year 1975 or earlier; or(b) Model year 1976 or later that was registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009; except that a vehicle so registered is not eligible for registration as a collector's item upon sale or transfer to a new owner; OR (c) A model year at least thirty-two years old unless the vehicle was registered before September 1,2009, and meets the requirements of paragraph (b) of this subsection (2). if the vehicle is being registered under this paragraph (c) and in the program area, as defined in section 42-4-304: (i) The vehicle must have passed an emissions test meeting the standards of part 3 of article 4 of this title within the last twelve months before being initially registered by the owner as a collector's item; and (ii) The owner must sign an affidavit DR 2839 that the vehicle will not be driven on roadways for more than four thousand five hundred miles per year. All taxes and fees shall be five times the annual taxes and fees normally assessed.

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
FWIW, historic/collectible tag enforcement was never a priority until the driver abuses it (speeding, reckless driving, dui, driving it for a daily commuter and passing the same Trooper everyday, etc.....) or the vehicle is involved in a serious/fatal crash. Then, the crash investigation will determine if it was driven illegally. It appears in Colorado you only have to sign an Affidavit swearing you won't abuse the statute, in my old state you had to keep a mileage log book and present it when asked. The violation was a traffic infraction summons.

Frankly, the biggest problem with historic/collectible tagged vehicles was crashes due mechanical failure (bad brakes, hydraulics, broken steering components, broken suspension, manual brakes failing due to speed, etc....) and/or operator error (the 90 year old Driver thought he could still handle the vehicle at speed into a corner like he was 19 and/or the 19 year old thought he could handle a 3 ton car with manual steering, manual brakes and no air bags like his honda.......oh, and DUI)

I've owned and driven this little 45 year old red head for over 25 years and have never been asked for the drivers log. FWIW and no guarantee your results won't be different. Be safe.

8EE22766-F675-440B-A026-C09C02DC495D.jpeg

Last edited:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I was told at the DMV last week that registering a car with classic plates, when it qualifies, no longer requires an emissions test.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I was told at the DMV last week that registering a car with classic plates, when it qualifies, no longer requires an emissions test.
Did you get that in writing, Chris? I just put collector plates on the 62 and didn’t see or hear anything about no emissions test required.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
When I registered my 60 in Denver last year I waffled between regular and classic registration. I was told that if I went classic I still need the appropriate emissions test for my vehicle, but that I would only have to do it when I re-registered - so every 5 years. Regular registration is every 2 years.

I recall from my research last year that lying on the mileage affidavit for classic plates is considered perjury. I’m not a lawyer, but some Googling seemed to show that perjury is a felony. It seemed like a lot to put on the line. Never been caught for the stupid shit I did when I was young, and I don’t want to get caught for something stupid now 😬

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I brought my test in and the woman told me I didn't need it. I just re-read the affidavit and it says that to register the vehicle there must be proof of passing emissions within 12 months of the attempt to register it.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I have always figured the only check would be when/if I actually sell a truck, then they could do the math and see if I went over... but sheesh I am way behind as I hardly ever drive either one of my trucks more than across town. I didn't consider getting into an accident but I guess that also qualifies as a reason to check mileage, if my behavior provoked a reason to dig further. I usually make pretty good choices though, and drive like an old man, so not gonna worry about it.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
I registered my '79 CJ5 with classic tags before the change in 2009. Been renewing ever since to keep them, even though it has been garage art for 15 years now. Renew online and have not had to do emissions 🤷‍♂️

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I brought my test in and the woman told me I didn't need it. I just re-read the affidavit and it says that to register the vehicle there must be proof of passing emissions within 12 months of the attempt to register it.
With a '69 I doubt emissions would be required. I believe it would mostly be the '75 and newer stuff that they are concerned about with regard to emissions.
I registered my '79 CJ5 with classic tags before the change in 2009. Been renewing ever since to keep them, even though it has been garage art for 15 years now. Renew online and have not had to do emissions 🤷‍♂️
Me too with my '77 FJ40. Hasn't been garage art for that long though.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
probably because new registrations are 75 and older, which was pre emissions (except in kalifornia)

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Just got this in the mail today... Guess my $174 of revenue isn't worth the evil-old-ness of just letting my garage art keep the classic tags.

Pretty unhappy.

Attachments

• scan0004.pdf
    316 KB · Views: 173

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
So, you're now getting hit up for an emission test on a grandfathered Jeep that shouldn't need one? Am I interpreting this correctly?

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
So, you're now getting hit up for an emission test on a grandfathered Jeep that shouldn't need one? Am I interpreting this correctly?

How I am reading it.

HDavis

Hard Core 4+
Not quite. First, it seems like it may not have been insured or your insurance didn't report it to the state and the state thinks it isn't insured. Then since it is a 1979 and anything 1976 and later needs an emission test every 5 years they are requiring an emission test. You can supplement the test If you drive regularly past the air care vans in the year leading up to renewal and it was running clean, but its too late for that.