• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Christmas Tree Cutting with CLC

I went with 6 other Colo Spgs 4x4 club today. Duties included posting signs, checking out numerous side trails and being available for persons who got stuck. The forest service loaned three forest service radios. Handy. Also, got a donut and a Pike National forest map (the good plastic ones) from the rangers. Cut two trees ($10 ea) from road 327. Most wheelers aired down and did not use selectable lockers. Per forest service request we did not break trail on any new snow.

The views were spectacular, the 4 wheelers very friendly and the weather perfect. The most snow on the less traveled roads was about 4". The loops and main roads (previously shown in this thread) were plowed and well maintained. That is where 90% of the people go. I highly recommend going tomorrow, volunteering your time, and HIT THE OTHER 10% when opportunity knocks.

John In Denver

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Sounds good. Thanks for the report. We will be up 351 from rainbow falls today.

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Snow conditions were less than an inch in the northern areas. Not much snow. Just like last year. We had a good time getting a tree anyway.

It was pretty quiet today, but here is an example from another of our club members as to why we volunteer out time

After that the day was coming to an end, and we decided to turn in our radios to Rick with the Forest Service. While saying goodbye, a couple was brought up to the group--They had lost their vehicle and had been hiking through the woods for quite some time, the man was in a tee shirt and (from what the forest service said) possibly showing signs of mild hypothermia. We talked about how to help them, and lucky for them, the family who picked them up had marked their GPS position. I drove them until we found their Ford Expedition--within 15 minutes of where they were found. I dropped them off and another call came in about two women who were 2 miles out of the cutting area, and stuck in a Toyota car. They were down FS road 315 and had to walk for over an hour to get help. The trail they were down was VERY steep and completely snow covered. With Chip from the Forest Service driving, the vehicle was pulled almost the whole way up the trail to safety, and they decided to let it slide that the women had a tree from out of the cutting area, lol. good fun had by all, can't wait for next weekend!!! Luke.

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
I plan on heading up on Sunday...anyone else?