• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Chinamans is no longer Chinamans.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
0E9653D1-DF07-4527-9871-EBD481C6B788.png

EEAFDB13-52CB-49B7-B88A-416A26DCC2EA.png

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Last edited:

fyffer

Rising Sun Member
Chinamans has also changed significantly from March 2020 to Jul 2022, a lot. The W tail and V notch are almost the easy part of the trail, IMO. (my 5th run)

But was also driving back half of it in Rain, did not help any.

DanInDenver

Trail Ready
Is it such a tragedy that a derisive name is being dropped? Is this a hill you really want or want to be associated with?

When use of the outdoors is under attack is it wise to question use of dollars that seek to change names that are offensive?

krice118

Trail Ready
Is the term chinaman offensive?

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
The president of the club shouldn’t be actively promoting the use of outdated & racist names. Times change, we should change with them, and always focus on trying to be more inclusive as a club, rather than less.
This.

Also, the name change hurts exactly zero people - including those commenting on this post. Who cares what it’s called … go run the trail if you like it!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
It's not offensive to call someone an Englisman or a Frenchman. But if Asians prefer to be called something other than Chinaman, I don't have a problem with that either. Language changes. Some people go kicking and screaming, others shrug their shoulders and move on.

Want to see an old geographic name that is way more clear cut in its heinousness? Here's one from the Moab area:

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
Was a single Chinese person actually offended by this? Most are laughing that us Westerners are constantly chasing our tail trying to make everything PC which is a never-ending quest (someone will always be offended at least on behalf of someone else) and only results in the degradation of language itself and the erasure of history both good and bad. Same thing is happening in the climbing world so I'm not surprised sadly to see it here either.

Jcbmx

Trail Ready
I can say this: I'm a "chinaman", my last name is chin. I've heard the "more Chins than a Chinese phone book" and "not by the hairs of my chinny chin chin" etc my whole life...people even call me by "chin" because there are a million Jons. I in no way have a problem with the trail name or the term "the Chinese virus"...all these round eyes acting on our behalf need to find another hobby.

Jcbmx

Trail Ready
Was a single Chinese person actually offended by this? Most are laughing that us Westerners are constantly chasing our tail trying to make everything PC which is a never-ending quest (someone will always be offended at least on behalf of someone else) and only results in the degradation of language itself and the erasure of history both good and bad. Same thing is happening in the climbing world so I'm not surprised sadly to see it here either.
...All PC culture does is eradicate minority representation on the behalf of "social justice". It has the opposite effect of its intent. Changing the Washington Redskins to Commanders is the equivalent of manifest destiny (remove native Americans replace with colonials). A Native American woman on butter/aunt jemima no longer on syrup?! My great grandma(non Chinese/paternal grandma's side, black and Native American) was part of the trail of tears. Taking the non white faces off of anything let's people forget they exist and is like burning books