Chinaman's 7/30/06

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Jeez...what a trail. We were okay up to the squeeze (the last obstacle). I'll post pics tonight, didn't get any pics of the damage to the exhaust and it's in the shop as planned right now getting that fixed, so there will never be any evidence of that carnage. I have a broken thumb though and I need a new rear driveshaft, new front shackle and I have to blacksmith my t-case skid plate. More later, it's hard to type without the use of one thumb. Thanks go out to CJ7 Matt and izuvice Mike for going on the trip and contributing to a great time!:cheers:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
wrapped your thumb inside the steering wheel didn't 'cha ;)

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Well that's too bad. Sounds like you had your hands full.:thumb:

At least you were out doin' some wheelin.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Okay here's the writeup. Had to get an early start because of the drive, so I was filling up in Castle Rock at 7:15. Got a call from Mike (izuvice) saying he was still in Elizabeth and had to load up his truck. No problem, it was probably going to take a few minutes to get CJ7 Matt up and at 'em. Made good time to the Springs and Matt and I were rolling from there by 8:40. Doodled around and got to Johnson Village a touch before 11. Topped off, then locked in our hubs and aired down. Mike and his son pulled up with Mike's buddy Dave in Mike's hopped-up Powerstroke Ford with the FJ62 in tow and off we went to unload at the trailhead about 11:30.

Trail didn't mess around with throwing obstacles at us, I went from 2hi to 4lo and that was the last flat spot we had. It was good just crawling up the first section, and we came to the first split where you take a left and go down into the gully. Nice rolls and then you come to the bottom of the wash where you go right. I went left because the directions I had weren't very clear, and the trails looked equally used. We met some Jeeps coming down who told us we were going the wrong way and we turned around. Some nice baja driving for a bit with a couple nice rock gardens to flex on, then we came to Whale Rock. All of us are having a blast, but I'm not sure if my truck will make it up the middle part, which is the line I wanted. We stopped for a little break.

Well I'm first. Forgot to have anybody get pictures, but after a little maneuvering and a couple runs at it I got up and over. Yay! Next was Mike, and after he got a good straight shot at it he just walked right up, unlocked on 33" Swampers. Wheelbase, nice! Finally CJ7 Matt gave it a go, and now that we had the line figured out it only took him a handful of tries and he finally got up over the lip and was up as well. Fun!

As we continued there were still some rocks to play on in the wash, and on one fateful group I didn't have a good approach, and as I thought about turning my wheels a little different it happened. In my defense I pulled both hands back as the wheel went for a FAST spin, but in reflex or something I put them back down too soon and got my right thumb right in line with the spoke. It got me good, but it didn't break at the knuckle and it didn't displace so it'll be just fine in a few weeks.

So we continued up the trail and I'm driving one-handed, and we stop after a bit and I admire how swollen my right thumb is. Then we came up to the last obstacle: the squeeze. Now that I know what has to happen I almost want to try it again. There's a little lip on the rock on the right that if you can keep your tires on the incline long enough you'll grab it and be up and over. However, I kept sliding off onto the rock in the middle, gradually crushing my driveshaft and t-case skid plate. Then my throttle linkage popped off so my engine wouldn't drop back to idle, so had to stop for a minute to fix that. Finally stacked rocks and got the right line to get up and over. CJ7 Matt followed, and with most rocks already stacked he came up and over. Finally Mike came over, and I think the wheelbase helped him just crawl over without any trouble.

Only incident on the way down was Mike lost brake pedal, so we strapped him from behind and eased the rest of the way down. It came back a little bit so it wasn't too big a deal, but like he said you gotta drive it to know what needs to be fixed on it!:thumb: It was a great day, and now Matt and I know the limits of our driving/truck abilities. I'll take a Ghost Town Run anyday over beating up my truck like that. At least most that needs repair is easy, and I was going to have the exhaust redone anyway. For having the same 7/10 rating as Spring Creek on 4x4trails.net (and I know ratings are meaningless), I think that last obstacle made this trail, overall, harder.

Anyway pics.

subzali

Hard Core 4+

Attachments

• HPIM0849.jpg
    HPIM0849.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 433
  • HPIM0851.jpg
    HPIM0851.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 422
  • HPIM0855.jpg
    HPIM0855.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 429
  • HPIM0858.jpg
    HPIM0858.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 432

subzali

Hard Core 4+
last 4

Attachments

• HPIM0859.jpg
    HPIM0859.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 423
  • HPIM0860.jpg
    HPIM0860.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 431
  • HPIM0866.jpg
    HPIM0866.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 3,313
  • HPIM0869.jpg
    HPIM0869.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 427
I

izuvice

chinaman's gulch

hey matt, just wanted to say thanks again for letting me join you guys on the trail. i had a good time, and it was nice meeting you guys. we will definitely have to wheel again sometime. hope that your thumb and cruiser get better soon. ( hey if ya got any more pics could you e-mail them to me, i cant believe we forgot our camera in the truck) thanks again

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Looks like fun Matt-

thanks for the write up. Sorry about your thumb:thumb: it looks like the smiley has a bandaged hand as well. :D

What does your cruiser need to get healthy again?

Drew

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Blacksmith the t-case skid plate so it's straight again, check the front and rear diffs for sources/corrections of possible new leaks, new exhaust (getting done Tuesday), new rear driveshaft, fix electrical gremlins in the gauges, and fix my accelerator linkage so that it doesn't pop out again/check why it popped out/make sure it's hooked up correctly. I guess nothing too bad, but a lot for one trail/day.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
We all know that FJ62s, even unlocked, kick ass. Good job!! :thumb:
Life is tough without a thumb, isn't it? Heal quickly. :thumb: :thumb: :hill:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Oh yeah and a new shackle :hill:

But it's already got the exhaust fixed and new shackles, so now it's just down to the thumb and some irritating electrical problems. And yeah it sucks without the use of the thumb on your dominant hand.

Last edited:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
subzali said:
. Now that I know what has to happen I almost want to try it again. There's a little lip on the rock on the right that if you can keep your tires on the incline long enough you'll grab it and be up and over. .

Like this :D

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 281

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Nice report Matt :thumb: :thumb: . Chinaman's Gulch is a unforgiving trail if you make a mistake or lose focus you will pay and I have the trail damage to prove it. Hope the thumb get better soon.
Dan

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Yeah Ken I wasn't gutsy enough to get THAT high on it, maybe that was my problem :D

Chinaman's was a fun trail, but I think it's like Clint Eastwood says - a man's got to know his limitations. Me and CJ7 Matt definitely found ours. Happy Cruisin'!

By the way where on that trail did Nathaniel break his long side?

Kipper

Hard Core 4+
He broke right there at the squeeze! Lotsa weight right there on the rear driver axle.