• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

"Check Out" Slaughterhouse

rocdoc

Wincher
Hi all,

I'm retired and have lots f time on my hands and I've got this sweet new ride so I was thinking about a short off-road outing one day next week. What comes to mind is going out and just checking out slaughterhouse. That may mean (cautiously) giving some of it a go ... or looking at it and saying "holey sh_t", going for a burger, and calling it a day better spent than looking at a screen.

I'd welcome advice (a different destination?) and/or company.

Since my wife works on Wednesday that is my preferred day.

Bob

stusic

Land Use Coordinator
Weather permitting, I would say you should be fine. There's bypasses around all the harder stuff, so you can gauge it and act accordingly. I just saw Jackson's setting up a run at Slaughterhouse in like 3 weeks...

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
You’ll be more than capable on Slaughterhouse. I’ve ran it 3 times stock. Fun trail. It will make you think about your line and maybe drag a bumper, but dragging on dirt (vs Moab rocks) is not a big concern.

And sometimes it’s the mudflaps and those things are easily replaceable/removable.

You’ll be fine and have time to get a burger afterwards.

rocdoc

Wincher
Weather permitting, I would say you should be fine. There's bypasses around all the harder stuff, so you can gauge it and act accordingly. I just saw Jackson's setting up a run at Slaughterhouse in like 3 weeks...
Yes, I think that's the newbee run. I plan to go. But, like I said, I've got plenty of (maybe too much) time on my hands and I'm looking for something to do next week so I thought go out and have a look. The weather report is good for what that's worth. . Another trail suggestion would be welcome.

stusic

Land Use Coordinator
Nah, I think that's a great one because it's close and easy. Bill Moore might be good too, but I don't know the conditions.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Argentine is always good. It's basically a railroad grade so not tough at all, though snow may be becoming an issue at this point.

What part of Littleton are you in?

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
There shouldn't be any issue with slaughterhouse gulch at this point. It's normally wet in the back valley, but it's usually not an issue until the spring time melt.
We have no snow on this side of Kenosha at this point.
However, everything west of Kenosha has snow in varying amounts.
We drove almost to the top of Georgia Pass last weekend, and there was about 6"-8" of snow when we turned around. Otherwise I'd say you could check that out, but I wouldn't recommend that at this time with stock street tires. However, keep that one on your list for after the melt, it's a great place to explore. It's real easy on the 285 side, and you can get up even higher on a spur road off to the east at the summit of the pass. Definitely worth it.
In that same area, by Jefferson Reservoir, there's a trail that goes by Jefferson Hill. It was completely clear last weekend, and I don't think they've gotten any snow since then. There are a couple low water crossings and a few spots that give a nice view. That trail starts from 285 just this side of the summit of Kenosha Pass and ends up by the entry gate to the Jefferson Reservoir and comes back out to the town of Jefferson. You'll have no issues on that whole trail system with a stock truck, when it's dry.

Argentine Pass/Levensworth Creek trail is a great trail system for stock trucks in the summer time. It's got enough snow at this point that I would recommend waiting until next summer to check it out. But it's got lots to see and once the snow is melted, going all the way to the top of Argentine Pass and Mt. McClellan is a fantastic day trip that rewards with fantastic views.

rocdoc

Wincher
Argentine is always good. It's basically a railroad grade so not tough at all, though snow may be becoming an issue at this point.

What part of Littleton are you in?
Vintage Reserve, north side of Coal Mine btwn Platte Canyon and Pierce

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Vintage Reserve, north side of Coal Mine btwn Platte Canyon and Pierce
I'm right by Columbine HS so we're pretty close.

rocdoc

Wincher
Very. My grandson goes to Leawood elementary.

rocdoc

Wincher
I guess I'll go to either Bill Moore or Slaughterhouse. Slaughterhouse looks a bit scary to go alone and for the first time but I hate driving up I70. I'll probably flip a coin.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
It is definitely open since the FS did some work on the damaged sections. Here is a report from Trails Offroad by someone who ran it in mid September:

Trail Reviews (68)​

ADD TRAIL REVIEW

Author:Trint Ladd
Official Crew
Social Media:
Difficulty Accuracy:Harder
Offroaded on:09/12/2021
Rating:Rated 5 stars out of 5
I saw JD's review and since this trail is just a few miles from my house, I wanted to see how it looked. There's still one paper sign about the closure, but no barricades and all gates are open.

Rather than repair the washout, the FS just created a bypass and blocked the bad section. There are a LOT of new water breaks throughout the trail, some of them are huge, so watch your break-over angle. They added one huge water break that cuts all the way across the big rocky hill on the south side of the loop. That should make some lines more ... interesting.

There is plenty of new weathering here and there, notice the pic of the mini-wash out down by the bottom parking area (between WP 11 and 12).

I agree with others, the south side of the loop has gotten a lot rougher and the rock obstacles are pretty gnarly. Even the bypasses are pretty rough, but still doable in a stock truck. I'm not sure a 3 really cuts it anymore. Maybe a 4.

We ran across a hunter in a stock Ford Expedition (on street tires) who got himself hung up trying to turn around (right at WP 7). We were able to yank him out and get him turned around. (No pictures to protect his dignity. ;) )

END OF REPORT

The guy who wrote this drives a 2011 Taco with a mild lift and 32" tires. I haven't run it since the repairs were done. Might be a bit rugged in a stock truck for a newb, but you can always stop if in doubt. The first few miles are Subaru rated so at least you could get your tires dirty if you wanted to. (y)

By the way, this website is a great resource if you don't mind ponying up $25 a year for all access membership.

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/

rocdoc

Wincher
FYI, I ran Slaughterhouse in August on my KTM and it was closed due to 2 very washed out sections. In this post https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/slaughterhouse-temporary-closure-8-9-21.31433/
MountainGoat "thinks" it's re-opened, but you might do some research before you head up there only to be turned away.
Thanks for this ! Still not sure which way I’ll go. Although the weather predictions down here in town are moderate, who knows what will happen up there by next week.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Kingston I'd say is closed as a thru-trail for the year, or I'd recommend that one.

This is from a few weeks ago before the weather came through. Trail was blocked here, there is no way I'd take a vehicle through it with how slick it was. Some SxSs tried and couldn't, and just went off trail to get around it anyways vs going back where they started.

PXL_20211020_173441570.jpg

Oneops

I haven’t ran slaughter house in awhile.
How early ya starting on Weds?