charging an ebike with the sun

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I want to rig up a solar charging station for our electric bikes. Either next to the house under an awning, or in the shed, maybe the garage. Leaning towards somewhere other than the garage though, just to keep congestion down. And if I do it in the shed, then I'd be able to run other lights off of the system, which is something I have wanted for 10 years now...

I didn't realize how high of a voltage the ebikes take... 54.6v seems like a lot!
IMG_0199.jpg

but dang it, that's what it is...
IMG_0200.jpg

So much for a simple cable from a car battery. I could rig up a panel to a small power station I guess, like a Jackery or similar, then plug the charger into an AC plug But all of this starts to look way more expensive than just running an extension cord from the house. And it's even more if I look at turnkey systems like this one: https://www.anker.com/blogs/solar/ebike-solar-charger

I just like the idea of having the bikes be completely stand-alone, and the illusion that charging the bike is "free." before I punt on the project though, curious if anyone has done this?