Chains: need some help

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Not having much luck with these chains. Anyone have any advice? It seems like I need to remove 2-3 links to shorten the circumference, but I worry that I might be screwing up, so I'm hesitant to do so.

Some of the cam tighteners go one way, some go the other. Supposedly, they are all supposed to face the same direction, away from the center.

I feel like I could get these on better if I just jacked each tire off the ground.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
you may need to remove links. that's why they list the chains to fit so many sizes. drape them over the tire and pull forward or backwards until you've gotten them underneath also. hook them as tight as possible starting at the back first, then turn the cam locks.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I got your call late Matt. I went to work and they sent me home. I stayed out playing in the snow.

The chains I got from tirechains were slightly too long for my 37s. The most important part is that the cross, the part over the wheel, is correct. Most likely it is. Having two rings smaller than the circumference is what keeps the chains on. You probably need to take a few links out. The bast way is to install everything on the wheel. Attach the cams to the chain and don't worry about the tail at the moment. Drive slowly a few feet and then readjust. I left an extra link on mine just in case I needed it later. I some cases you may remove enough that an entire cross section may be removed. The chains are tempered so don't expect to pry a link open and close it again. They will break.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Once I figured out that I needed to attach them further up, I was much better. I have 4 links hanging on inside and outside on all four tires. They're pretty snug. I won't cut the links off until I try the chains on my FJ40, since the chains should fit those tires too.

Attachments

• chains.jpg
    chains.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 80.jpg
    80.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 80-2.jpg
    80-2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 149