Chain Guide Broke Today on my '94 80 series - Need Advice

floating_lc

Lifted
So, I had a very weird start last week, - turning it over I heard a strange short clank sound that stopped the cranking. Tried again and the engine started right up - I wrote it off figuring maybe my starter was going out. Been driving it all week. It happened again today - it runs fine, no other strange noises. I drove it an hour to Japanese Auto and dropped it off for some emissions tweaks. An hour later, they called and said they pulled the valve cover off and discovered the chain guide broke and luckily got jammed out of the way. That being said- I need a new chain and guide - no additional known damage.

Engine has 265k on it. Seals are fairly leaky, it burns a little bit of oil. There is a truck load of "While you're in there" tasks.... I am currently balls deep in a 1960 bus and 1962 Corvair Frankenbus project and have zero time (or room in my dirt driveway) to replace a timing chain and all the other things that should go with it.

While I wait on Rob to give me an estimate - I was hoping to get some opinions here as well - Anybody know the time commitment on the fix? I know a Short block off a 97 is available at Japanese Auto- is that swap worth it instead (I have a 94 (obd1)). Find a replacement vehicle? Call up Jimmy and make it Electric (my top choice:) ?

Last edited:

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
As I recall, replacing the chain is a pretty involved project. Also, I don’t think the 94 and 97 motors are directly compatible. It’s doable but there’s quite a few things to change over to make it work. The good news is it sounds like you got lucky and didn’t smash any valves. (I’m still trying to think how this is possible) If that’s the case, I would hang onto it until you have some time to pull the engine, replace the chain, replace the seals that are leaking, and put it all back together.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Going backwards from 97 to 94 is fine. It’s not easy to go the other way.

Replacing timing guides is a great time to reseal the engine. While it’s technically possible to do this without removing the head, most shops will require removing the head.

Resealing the engine at this point is a great opportunity. Unfortunately it’s not simple or cheap. There are also lots of opportunities to botch items that are hard to source. For example the engine harness is NLA and prone to cracking and the like. So having an experienced shop like JA do the work is a good idea.

floating_lc

Lifted
All good points. Thanks guys. Currently playing the waiting game for some quotes to see how many organs I need to sell.

Pz10420

Trail Ready
I think you have to pull the head to replace the timing chain and guides. So a new head gasket and all that would be involved I think. I thought that there is no issue with using a 97 short block on a 94. You would reuse your oil pan from the 94 which is the only difference that I know due to the 94 not having the crank sensor(or something like that).

floating_lc

Lifted
I think you have to pull the head to replace the timing chain and guides. So a new head gasket and all that would be involved I think. I thought that there is no issue with using a 97 short block on a 94. You would reuse your oil pan from the 94 which is the only difference that I know due to the 94 not having the crank sensor(or something like that).
That sure would be nice. the whole ODBI to ODBII I thought was one of the trickiest parts but I'm just armchair mechanic-ing over here ;)