Ceramic Speed chain-free

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I just saw this for the first time...

It sure looks cool, but my first thought is that would deflect under load something fierce... particularly on the bigger ring when I'm standing on the pedal. But they likely thought of that already. Sure looks neat, anyone ever ridden one?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
seems like the youtube comments have covered the main points, and then some. Still cool though, you have to admit

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
that ring & pinion driveline that runs through the frame is just amazing... how fun would it be to design that. All of this seems like it's solving a problem that doesn't really exist though, but still the innovation is neat to see.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Solutions looking for problem is how I'd put it, too. A chain over a sprocket has transferred power since Moses first learned to ride a bike and gaining that lost 3% has alluded us ever since.

Sure, two dozen mini bearings and a ton of CNC nets you a little better efficiency but, man, it's got to be expensive to buy and not last long caked with Utah mud.

The shaft drives that exist mostly do so commuters in Copenhagen don't have to lube their chains every day or get oil on their trousers, not as an mechanical improvement.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Maybe this is a precursor to a better e-bike application? Even then, it would just apply to urban commuters.