Center arm rebuild

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Okay, got my new tie rod ends and my center arm rebuild kit...how long is this gonna take? I've also got my pickle fork. Any surprises to watch out for? I have pretty much all day Thursday to get this done...am I going to be running around trying to locate parts or do I have everything I need with no surprises? (this will be the first time I've worked on my truck while it's the only vehicle available to me, and I'm kinda hesitant).

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Do you have access to heat? MAPP gas or something? And lots of that PB Blaster stuff might be good. :D

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Unfortunately all I have is NAPA brand Mac's Penetrating Oil. Maybe I'll start washing the steering components down with that tonight...what specifically will I need that for? Just do everything? I've had a couple tie rods off before and it wasn't too bad...

wesintl

RS Moderator
If you are replacing the ends I might suggest getting a monkey wrench that way you can lock down on the rod and turn it ON the vehicle to remove the rod. You need leverage Then use the pickle to pound out the TRE. That's the method I used for rust east coast rigs if you don't have a good round clamp on your vice. I never used heat but the penetrating oil should be fine. That's my .02 The center arm should be pretty straight forward. :)