• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Car insurance recommendations

maxpowerzz

Trail Ready
Any recommendations for auto insurance? We have Allstate and I'm about to add a teenage driver and our rates are going to double, it's ridiculously astronomical even with her good grades discount.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Don’t add teenage drivers

I insured cars not drivers made it through

Insurance follows cars not drivers
They want you to add kids they say you have to

Maybe I did it wrong

Last edited:

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I heard I'd be better off with a second policy from Geico or Progressive (from an Allstate rep no less) for the kiddo.

Since then I've moved my motorcycle, the kid car, and my project taco over from the main policy to Geico.

If you have kids that live with you and drive you can just omit them from your policy's which works for carrying a proof of insurance but if they have a significant claim in one of your vehicles then I think the insurer has an easy out and could deny coverage.

It sucks bad, I wish we only insured the driver (why do I need liability insurance on 3 trucks and a bike if I can only crash one at a time, just cover ME from a liability/mass/history standpoint). Kids v multiple cars is crushingly expensive (but makes more motorcycles look like a good econ choice at least!). /rant

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
When I had 2 teenagers on the books (girls, admittedly) AAA insurance was cheap, and still is. With good grades and having taken an online driving course, each child added <$500/year to the cost of the policy.

You do have to have one member of your family enrolled in AAA roadside assistance, to be able to purchase AAA auto insurance.

Yeti

Rising Sun Member
I have been able to get good rates and service from this Insurance broker: https://www.altitudeins.com/
I have no personal experience with teen drivers yet.

maxpowerzz

Trail Ready
Thanks for all the tips. I agree, seems crazy I need to insure my daughter on the 40 and 62 when she doesn't drive them.

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Don’t add teenage drivers

I insured cars not drivers made it through

Insurance follows cars not drivers
They want you to add kids they say you have to

Maybe I did it wrong
Talk about kids and insurance, our oldest grandson 19 with tickets and accidents goes out and buys a 19' Dodge Daytona with a Hemi and is paying $810/ month for insurance. Parents excuse he's building credit, see how long that lasts.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Talk about kids and insurance, our oldest grandson 19 with tickets and accidents goes out and buys a 19' Dodge Daytona with a Hemi and is paying $810/ month for insurance. Parents excuse he's building credit, see how long that lasts.
At least min wage in Denver is now almost $15 an hr!

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
At least min wage in Denver is now almost $15 an hr!
Now they are in Florida and he is working a landscape job, see how long that lasts.

PhillyB77

When my daughter turned 16 USAA came at me with a chainsaw for two of my limbs.

Horrible. Now she is in her 20's and on her own plan, good times.