• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

can't get the J-arm off!!!wtf??!!

hey guys
i am installing my hi-steer arms onto my front axle ('85 PU axle)
and the passenger side came apart and went together easily but im having some trouble getting the drivers side J-arm off. it's loose and it moves ~.25" up but then stops and won't come off any farther. The studs don't look bent but they could be.
anyone else have this problem? any advice?
thanks
Joe

double nut and back out the studs, or bust out the big pry bar but watch out what you mar up.

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Are those cone washers holdin' you back? If so, pounding on the j-arm front and back does as much as pounding UP on the arms. also, I have found that jamming the little craftsman screwdriver into the groove of the cone washer will often open it up enough to get it to slide over the stud.
I had my steering arms off about 2 weeks ago. Banging on them only let them come up so far. I ended up prying between two shims (cheaper/ easier to repair) a little bit while I pounded on the front/back of the arm. The little bit of prybar tension is all it took to work the cone washers up off the studs.

Again, the big trick was pounding on the front and back of the steering arm. I use a 3# brass hammer all the time on my truck. It fixes lots of stuff.

Last edited:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Sounds like the part that positions the kingpin bearing is rusted in place on the bearing.

Bigger hammer.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
the cone washers are out of the arm

Have you blown a birf or two in that knuckle? Shrapnel tends to beat the pooh outta everything inside of the housing. If you have enough space try and use a disk brake pad spreader.

Have you blown a birf or two in that knuckle? Shrapnel tends to beat the pooh outta everything inside of the housing. If you have enough space try and use a disk brake pad spreader.

I havent used the axle yet - I don't know if a birf has been demolished in there. The pad spreader is a good idea - I will give that a try