Cancelled - Interest in Field Day 2021?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Looks to overlap the clean up run y'all are already doing. Maybe some other weekend.

Would there be interest in an ARRL Field Day weekend?

I'm not really suggesting we do a true dedicated contest station necessarily but more use it as an opportunity to go camping and set up radios for a weekend. If there's interest in actually operating to make contacts we would need to log them, though.

But if all we do is set up radios to listen my thinking is there should be tons of stations to hear. Mostly it would give club Elmers a chance for hand's on demonstration.

I have some ideas for good group camps out here, if that's of interest. That way we could potentially invite Utahns. Or just do something halfway between GJ and Denver, perhaps?

Date would be June 26 and 27.

Last edited:

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Did somebody say camping? :)

satchel

Rising Sun Member
I'm down. I've never transmitted on ham but just installed my mobile unit this weekend, got aprs working, but I'm sure there's tons of things I could learn.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Awesome! We'll already be up on Argentine Pass, so adding some Ham Radio to the mix would be really cool.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Whoops, didn't see that conflict.
I wouldn't call it a conflict at all Dave, in fact would be a really cool thing for us to do particularly in the afternoon/evening once the trucks are parked.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I wouldn't call it a conflict at all Dave, in fact would be a really cool thing for us to do particularly in the afternoon/evening once the trucks are parked.
I was going to drag out a generator, a couple of HF radios under a shelter, putting up a mast like Brian, KC0YRM, and I did a few years ago. Not really an after thought sort of thing.

Just that I assumed most people over there would prefer doing the clean up instead of driving out here to mess with radios.

I'd drive up Thursday afternoon or Friday morning to secure one of the spots I had in mind. I didn't necessarily imagine the whole weekend sitting at a radio table but radio would be the main point. Like one thing I intended quasi-related 4WD was a fox hunt using APRS for location and to pass messages. Maybe do something with the ISS or work on seeing the longest distance simplex contact we could make.

I focused on Field Day weekend because there'd be a lot of other stations to work is all, there wasn't anything particularly critical about that weekend.

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I really don't see a conflict... did you want to set all that up over here? or were you thinkin over on your side of the state? either way, sounds cool to me, will listen for you on the ColCon.. 🤓

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
There's several clubs doing Field Days over there - Boulder ARC (For example, this was their 2017 station), the Elbert/Douglas ARES, NCARC - for anyone who's interested.