CAN/BACK is Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
You cruiser guys could care less, but for us minitruck and especially 4Runner owners (Tom-Tom: birthday present???) this is really good news!

The makers of the finest softtops for the early 4Runners has been purchased and is being moved to AZ. They are taking orders!
http://www.can-back.com/

Taking Orders: Shipping Early March
Toyota 4Runner (1984-1989)

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

Bighead

Trail Ready
Took them long enough. They were originally supposed to be accepting orders last summer. In that time I sold the Tacoma I wanted one for. :eek:

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Sooo, i've always liked the can-bak look to a truck, but have been afraid of drawbacks like leaking or sun cracking.

Since you've got one Red Chili, how has it held up, and what are your thoughts on it? Are there any bad points, or have you been overall satisfied?

I had a Can-Back on my Taco for a couple of years and it held up very well. Even the windows didn't scratch as badly as I feared. I would love one for my 4Runner. Get the one with the SS hoops and the roof rack. I think I remember that it had a 600# capacity.

the Other Matt

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
Sooo, i've always liked the can-bak look to a truck, but have been afraid of drawbacks like leaking or sun cracking.

Since you've got one Red Chili, how has it held up, and what are your thoughts on it? Are there any bad points, or have you been overall satisfied?

I'm not Red Chili, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night... :D

I've had mine for over 6 years, and it was a couple of years old when I got it. In a *really* hard rain, it'll barely mist through the fabric, but not enough to get anything wet. My 'Runner is a garage ornament much of the time, so the top still looks pretty good.

My opinion: On a 1st gen 4Runner, these are a must, and I wouldn't be interested in any other top. On a truck, they aren't as secure as a topper, but are better in every other way.

Mark

Rock Dog

Hard Core 4+
Can Back is a GREAT product

I am not Red Chilie and only stayed in a Motel 6 last night, but i also Love my can back! :D

My rig has been outside for long periods of time, and the top has help up for the last 4 years very well. Even the windows have fared bettern than the Tiger top on my cruiser.
As mentioned above i was able to get some moisture through, but it had snow on top of it melting for several days.

For the first gen 4 runner i think they are AWSOME.
I am thinking about ordering another one for the first gen runner we are building for my brother.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I am Red Chili and I slept in my own bed last night...:p:
I love my Can-Back. For the first couple years I put the hardtop on in the winter, but I don't bother now. In a very hard rain I occasionally get a drip - maybe - if it is also windy - and some of Scalded Dog's seeping moisture, I'd bet, is more like condensation such as you would find inside a tent in the winter or in high humidity conditions.

I did a couple mods to the install: I put closed-cell (very important, that) weatherstripping along the front hoop that bolts to the rear of the cab, so that the canvas (Sunbrella, really) would seal against it when snapped to it. That may be why it is so weathertight. I also used foam pipe insulation on the side hoop legs that contact the side windows, to protect them and tighten up the top a bit.

I got the Can-Back specifically because it supports a roof rack. I did not, however, opt to purchase the Can-Back roof rack mounts. I think they are horribly overpriced. Instead, I took some steel plate, some L-section stock, and made short 'raingutters' to mount any commercial rack. I sealed these against the top with neoprene sheet and used stainless capscrew fasteners outside, nylocks inside. The mounting plates on the frame are quite handy to bolt to, and very strong.

I opted for the painted frame over the stainless. The stainless is quite nice, but for ease of home repairability, potential modification (none yet), and to hold down the budget on an already expensive mod, the painted made more sense to me.

For function and flexibility, the thing cannot be beat. I love the fact that I can start out on a cold and wet morning all buttoned up, then as the sun breaks out and it gets hot, I can roll up the sides and have a bikini top that actually covers the whole interior. Then at 12K feet, if a snow squall comes up, I button up again, or if in the desert I am cool in the shade and breeze. Works nice with half doors and snap-on windows too.

It removes a lot of weight up high, which can definitely be felt in off-camber situations. I hate off-camber situations so this is important to me.

Dings: it flaps in the wind and is noisier than a hardtop. It can be tricky to button up from the inside when using as sleeping quarters (I'm really reaching for dings here). There is a trick to stretching it out to snap it closed when it is cold. Gentle use of pliers helps. The snaps are very solidly mounted by the way.

I'm really trying to think up additional dings... if I do I'll post them. I guess, soft windows will need to be replaced eventually? Sew-Fine here in town does superb work (not cheap, but good) with Sunbrella, so I guess they could handle that. With the company back in biz, I could always spring for a whole new top minus the frame if needed. I plan on retrofitting their new third brakelight when they get back to me on cost.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
You cruiser guys could care less, but for us minitruck and especially 4Runner owners (Tom-Tom: birthday present???) this is really good news!

The makers of the finest softtops for the early 4Runners has been purchased and is being moved to AZ. They are taking orders!
http://www.can-back.com/

I would love one and nearly bought a used one a few months ago. My Bday present is already on its way, 4" lift from Marlin :D For now my trusty Kayline top will have to do, maybe next year when I am a year older and much slower.

BTW I too slept i my own bed, my other bed in Key West was taken by some tourist:mad:

I'm not Red Chili, or even Green Chili, and I slept under the 23rd street viaduct last night, but I have a Bikini top I got from a girl named Heather, who won it in a raffle, and I really like it!

:blah: :blah: :blah:

Alarmingly, I really DID get my bikini top from a girl named Heather, at Zukfari (Moab) 2004. She had a hard-top 4-door Sidekick, and couldn't use the bikini top, so I swapped a Spidertrax shifter knob for her Bikini top - and she says she has "Bobzooki's Knob"...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Sooo many disturbing images... must repress... must repress...