• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Camping and mountain bike trails Sedona AZ

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
So we’re wanting to head down to Arizona this coming December for some camping and mountain bike riding. Can anyone here give me a good place to start?

Most likely we’ll be camping in the F250/truck camper combo. I think we would appreciate a mix of organized campgrounds and/or remote sites.

And we’re looking for family friendly trails. We’re all capable of riding mostly green and some blue rated trails here around the front range, just not wanting black or double black.

Also, truck camper combo is four wheel drive.
B2383DEC-FA7A-4116-A189-3DEB27286A36.jpeg

Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
mtb project. lots of good stuff north of Scottsdale and east of carefree

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
mtb project. lots of good stuff north of Scottsdale and east of carefree
Thing is Scottsdale and Carefree are not near Sedona, so it's apples-to-oranges. Not to mention Sedona in December won't be necessarily be warm and dry still. You're talking 100 miles north and 2,000' of elevation difference. But mainly it's a big difference in weather when you drop off the Mogollon Rim (like Camp Verde along I-17) and starts to get really warm south of Black Canyon City.

My in-laws live near Carefree/Cave Creek so can offer MTB options down there. In fact might be there around the holidays and would be happy to lead a few rides.

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
This is great to know. I guess I just assumed that the weather would be mild, or at least comfortable in December near Sedona. I’m glad you guys mentioned some specific areas I can start to read up on.
@DaveInDenver I appreciate your offer to show us some trails! I’ll let you know when and where we decide to go. As of right now we looking to be there December 18-24.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Seems to me Sedona is similar to any other desert town around the Colorado Plateau (like a couple of degrees warmer than right here in GJ or Moab). The winters aren't bad so much but it's gets plenty chilly and does snow. Just not a ton and when it does it melts in a day or two.

Now December in Phoenix could very easily be t-shirt and even shorts but even if not it'll pretty reliably be comfortable. On the flip side Flagstaff gets real winter and is almost always crappy when we drive through in the winter.