• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

BUSTED! Or, how I spend my Sunday...

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
BUSTED! Or, how I spent my Sunday...

Tim Nakari, Matt UnknownLastNameButDealsInSkidSteers, Kevin McDermott (BRD ranger), and I went up to do a review of the Jenny Creek/Yankee Doodle Lake work project coming up. We have a very good feel for what will be doable, and boys and girls this project is gonna be very very cool.

As we were wrapping up, a fella came by on an ATV and told us there was a pickup stuck in a mudhole up on the tundra. In shock, we hurried up there to bust his ... um, person.

This is a story about way-casual, way-uneducated users, not serious OHVers (thank goodness).

Just after the narrows above Jenny Lake, after the 'Tunnel Closed' sign, this fella had taken his ATV through the moist tundra to avoid a snow drift blocking the road. He gets it stuck in the mud, creating a mess and some pretty significant resource damage. Not content to leave it at that, he fetched his stock Chevy pickup, drives into the tundra with *it*, and pulls out the ATV - only to bury his pickup axle deep in the new tundra mudhole. Not content to leave it at THAT, he talks a Jeep Liberty guy into trying to pull him out. Though it is trail rated, it is unable to do much more than get down there. We show up, and Kevin asks the well-intentioned Liberty owner to leave, please. We winched him out with a 12K winch and 4 straps for length, so we would not have to enter the tundra which I was loathe to do.

The guy's girlfriend cops an attitude and says it's the USFS's fault for not posting 'No Motor Vehicles' and her whole life you could go anywhere you wanted up there and she was not to blame, yadda yadda yadda, endless. I tried to do some nice, admittedly assertive, but certainly not combative trail education. Nope, she was in the right in her mind.

Paul Krisanits, the Boulder Law Enforcement Ranger, responded to the call. Paul is the sort of guy who makes you want to stand at attention, say "Sir Yes Sir, Semper Fi SIR!", and do whatever he even casually suggests. I would NOT want to cross the man. Net/net, the attitude on the lawbreakers' part netted them a fine for going off-trail, a fine for resource damage, and a fine for an illegal campfire (still smoking) after they had been warned the night before for the campfire.

Call it $500 tuition to the school of Hard Knocks Education for the Bullheaded. It could have been $5K, confiscation of the vehicle, and 6 months of assisted living. :eek:

No sooner than the fines were levied, somebody drove by saying a Jeep was stuck in the Yankee Doodle mudhole we will be closing. Despite all our closure carsonites.:rant: :rant: :rant: A guy with is wife, his little girls in the back, and a new Rubicon who decided his need to get muddy and set a fine example for his family superceded the closure due to the resource damage.

That was a fast $100 to the same establishment of higher education.

I carsonited the new illegal tundra trail, and got home around 7PM or so. Our project is sorely needed, it will be a great and good deed. It was good to meet Matt, and we are definitely going to make a tremendous impact for good in the area.

If you see anyone damaging the area (or any area in the Boulder Ranger District), take pix of the vehicle, the damage, the license plate, and the driver and send them to pkrisanits@fs.fed.us. The man will make the hammer fall!:thumb:

Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
Red_Chili said:
If you see anyone damaging the area (or any area in the Boulder Ranger District), take pix of the vehicle, the damage, the license plate, and the driver and send them to pkrisanits@fs.fed.us. The man will make the hammer fall!:thumb:

The BRD could spend all day sat and sunday hand out fines to offroaders of all types. I suspect the amout to motorcycles passing that drift is numerous and same for going over needle eye like last time when some of the dirt bikers got caught going up the tundra. Going through the mud bog at yankee doodle with posted signs right there is rediculous.

BTW.. how big was the drift at the end? Is it almost gone?

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Just last weekend I was questioning myself if having three 30' straps in the truck was getting a little excessive.. man we needed every one. I know Kevin took a lot of picures, so maybe we'll get to see a few of the extraction in the future. Bill & I were both in 100% "let's just get this guy out of here" mode and didn't take time for the camera. Just picture my truck perched up at the edge of a parking area, Red Chile behind it with a nice tight strap joining us both. Then 125' of winch cable + 4 straps stretched out going down about 50' out about 200' to a big cheby with buried city slicker tires. Would have made one hell of a zip line.

Was fun driving back down because each Forest Service truck I passed going up looked incrementally more official looking. The last one was lifted a little, bigger tires, and had a light bar on top.. that musta been Paul eh?

That's too bad another guy went through that mud bog, since it's so obviously closed. But it'll become a lot more obvious very soon.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Yup, that was Paul. The man makes an impression... :D
The drift is barely passable by motorcycle (perfectly legal I mean), and a couple Jeeps were hacking away at it as they got their courage up. Kevin was pretty interested in the danger of doing so, but I clarified how it usually goes and how we break drifts - low risk.
Kevin got a very good and positive impression of our club yesterday. I'm proud to be in Rising Sun!:bowdown: :cheers:

P.S. we can definitely help the USFS and Paul by taking those pix. They will enforce every one they get if it has the information mentioned. Also, a very surprising and pleasing thing I learned: Paul said that based on my role with the club, and my experience, my impressions of the people and what I wanted to have happen were VERY important in his decision making

Hooaaah. We are really important partners with the BRD based on our contributions, in case you ever feel like it doesn't matter - just put those thoughts aside.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
nakman said:
...That's too bad another guy went through that mud bog, since it's so obviously closed. But it'll become a lot more obvious very soon.
Judging by the look on his face, he definitely knew he was playing the moron. I think that $100 fine will go farther with him than the $500 will do with the other pair...

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
Whiskey Tango Hotel ???? :confused:

[smarta$$ mode on]

I can see it now:

* ! Alert from ___________ (fill in the blank with the name of your favorite Neo-Calvinistic group) Ultra-Druids infiltrate OHV clubs ! *

Greenies, posing as 4x4 enthusiasts, tread on you right to act like an asshat on public land!

[/smarta$$ mode]

You guys are my heroes :bowdown: Keep up the good work :cool:

Last edited:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Hehehe...;)
We will go a long way toward preserving access if we become real hardbutts with violators... we can carp and moan about the USFS not enforcing the rules and just shutting down trails because it's easy/cheap, but here we have an opportunity to put it into action ourselves.

Neo-Calvinistic, eh? I figgered I was one of the only people in the club who even knew what that was!:lmao: :p:

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Once again, thanks for the leg work Bill:thumb: :beer: . Looking forward to the clean up, a much needed vacation:D . Will never forget the time we were on Argentine, following the lower Power line road down just near the trail we closed that morning. And what do we happen to see?? To atvrs cutting across the road because they didnt want to get around us:rolleyes: (explain that one.......idiots). The best part was when Brant walked out, ticket book in hand waiting for them at the bottom. Oh and cant forget Bill:bowdown: . Think that lady needed to spend another hour with you:eek: .

Bill, think your part of the reason(and every one else for that matter) we have been nominated as club of the year:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :beer: :beer::beer:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Aw... shucks...:risingsun :
Very proud to be part of this club.
Think that lady needed to spend another hour with you .
Ummmm... I don't think she liked me much. Neither did this gal. I tend to be, shall we say, 'persistent' with bullheaded morons who just destroyed resource, then try to argue they are perfectly in the right... or at least that it is just a ticket and doesn't matter, and they remain unrepentant.
:rant: :rant:

It would not do for me to be in USFS enforcement:p: I think I might get a complaint or two. :rolleyes: Of course, I sense a kindred spirit in Paul Krisanits (minus the initial Marine Recon impression) so maybe my self assessment is mistaken.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
Red_Chili said:
Hehehe...;)

Neo-Calvinistic, eh? I figgered I was one of the only people in the club who even knew what that was!:lmao: :p:

you don't need 2 or 3 degree's to be edumacated in history or culture

:rolleyes: