• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Burrito and Snow Run!

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I was running 14-15 up front and 18-20 rear on 305 stt/pro(33x12.5) with v bar chains in the rear. The chains let me creep through everything but made a lot of noise @ 20psi and took a lot of the fun out of it.
That was kinda my impression of the chains. They made everything look too easy and you didn’t get to have any fun sliding backwards with very limited control.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
CHAINS! Ha ha! Whether you had 'em, wish you had 'em, or think they ruin the fun, I'm sure that was the word of the day (Other than OHS#!T)

Besides CM this was my first trail run with you guys and it did not disappoint. Awesome to meet so many great folks and watch y'all hammer your rigs around. Shout out to @LandBeater for putting his 80 to the test. Bummer about that shock. So weird. Stoked that between @FJCDan and Wyatt you were able to get rollin' again🤙

Big thank you to @JadeRunner for organizing, burritoing and picking the ideal day! Sorry to hear about the run in with the Jeep on the way down. No bueno man. Thanks to @Hulk, @bassguyry and others for herding the masses on that sketchy trail. Also thanks to @On the RX for the summit beta and great photo at the top (y)

Didn't get a ton of great pics but here are a few that turned out OK. Best ones were toward the end with @Lefty and @FunkyYota 🙌

View attachment 92318View attachment 92319View attachment 92320View attachment 92321

Some great pics. You should send the first vertical image to Stan.

:beer::beer:

bh4rnnr

Finally got my images posted on the blog ( stuck at home all day thanks to my Sciatica:().

I always love riding along for this run taking pics. Think this was the first time for me being in the back. Kinda unknown territory for me lol. Lost of fun either way and lots of thanks to @jps8460 and @Oh_shift for giving me a ride there and back. Even though new territory for me, was a lot of fun in the back of the group hanging out with Jimmy, Brian, Alex and Dom. Sounds like going out via Alice was the easier way this year. That hill climb above the second parking lot was a skating rink this year.

A few of my favorite pics:

What @jps8460 and I saw when we came upon the meet up spot above Central City.
1.jpg

Yoder's driver meeting, after the burritos of course.
3.jpg

Super fun to see these two on the trail again!
5.jpg

@Old40Dog made it to this years run:).
6.jpg

Somebody was intent in trying to ruin my shot...
9.jpg

14.jpg

Mike in his 3rd gen gave this stretch a valiant attempt. He made it up, was stopped and ready for a winch cable, but then started the bobsled ride back down. Couldn't make it up after that. Everything was just to slick. We used the traction boards to counter it.
21.jpg

Liked this scene of @treerootCO and Paparoot.
25.jpg

More images on the blog:

Wanderinthewest.org

Thanks for another fun run Scott!

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
Finally got my images posted on the blog ( stuck at home all day thanks to my Sciatica:().

I always love riding along for this run taking pics. Think this was the first time for me being in the back. Kinda unknown territory for me lol. Lost of fun either way and lots of thanks to @jps8460 and @Oh_shift for giving me a ride there and back. Even though new territory for me, was a lot of fun in the back of the group hanging out with Jimmy, Brian, Alex and Dom. Sounds like going out via Alice was the easier way this year. That hill climb above the second parking lot was a skating rink this year.

A few of my favorite pics:

What @jps8460 and I saw when we came upon the meet up spot above Central City.
View attachment 92384

Yoder's driver meeting, after the burritos of course.
View attachment 92385

Super fun to see these two on the trail again!
View attachment 92386

@Old40Dog made it to this years run:).
View attachment 92387

Somebody was intent in trying to ruin my shot...
View attachment 92388

View attachment 92389

Mike in his 3rd gen gave this stretch a valiant attempt. He made it up, was stopped and ready for a winch cable, but then started the bobsled ride back down. Couldn't make it up after that. Everything was just to slick. We used the traction boards to counter it.
View attachment 92390

Liked this scene of @treerootCO and Paparoot.
View attachment 92391

More images on the blog:

Wanderinthewest.org

Thanks for another fun run Scott!

Great picks. Gonna have to spend some time getting lost on your blog.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Curious about ideal tire pressure in snow conditions like we experienced during this run.

I aired down to 18 and in retrospect felt that was too high. What was everyone else in the non chain crowd running at?

It totally depends on how heavy your rig is and how stiff the sidewalls are. I go 17 in my 40 with the Open Country MTs. I used to go 22 in my heavy assed HZJ75 on Big O M/Ts. I used to go 17 in my 60 when I was running Duratracs but I think with the Cooper MT3s they might have a stiffer sidewall so may go a little lower on that rig. But I haven't wheeled that rig with those tires yet so I'll probably start at 17 and see how that does. You want balance the extra traction of the lower pressure (makes the tread patch contacting the ground longer) with the possibility of a sidewall separation and/or crush from a rock or tree limb.

Experiment! That's how I came up with my 17! Oh, and when I air up from my CO2 tank, I only go to 26, which is a reasonable pressure for the highway. Pretty much what will roll a F*rd Exploder from the whole deal when they mandated tire pressure sensor in all new vehicles. That saves CO2, and then I air the rest of the way back up to 32 after I get home and am with my shop air compressor.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We had a great day. Charlie, age 17, drove most of the day and did well. Here are a couple of good pics.

DSC03422-sm.jpg

DSC03426-sm.jpg

Paparoot

Rising Sun Member
Curious about ideal tire pressure in snow conditions like we experienced during this run.

I aired down to 18 and in retrospect felt that was too high. What was everyone else in the non chain crowd running at?
I saw a suggestion on Giai. Rule of thumb. Normal pressure minus 25% for rough bumpy road. Minus 35 to 40% for rocks, and 50% for soft sand.
For the ice we had I have no idea.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Interesting, I don't know if 25% really makes any difference in sidewall flex. The 17 I go down to from 32 is about 47% so that seems in the ballpark for what you report that someone else recommended. I maintain that it depends on the vehicle weight and sidewall stiffness and thus varies from one rig to the next. I don't think airing down more for ice would make much difference, at that point you'd either want studs of chains to bite into the ice. Or maybe something like Blizzaks that have that special, soft, low temperature tread compound with lots of small siping and microscopic suction cups, AFAIK they don't make Blizzaks in our off road tire sizes. I run Blizzaks on my wifes cars for the winter and they kick ass on snow packed pavement and icy roads compared to the MTs and ATs we run on our trail rigs.

Workinonit

Rock Stacker
So, it looks like I'm missing four handheld FRS radios. I've heard from @KC Masterpiece and @denvermike, but I'm not sure where the other two radios went. I think @Hulk might have one.

If whoever has them could reach out to me via DM here on the forum, or you can text/email me (contact info is listed on the radio), that would be awesome!
Is this Ryland? I was heading out the back way and gave my radio to Hulk to pass on to you. I hope it found you. Thank you for the loaner. Please DM if it was not located.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Is this Ryland? I was heading out the back way and gave my radio to Hulk to pass on to you. I hope it found you. Thank you for the loaner. Please DM if it was not located.
It is! Yep, I still need to pick up a few radios from Matt (@Hulk), but we should be good to go. Thanks!

bh4rnnr