bunce school road playground closure.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
been waiting to see what the deal is...it's still vague, but here's what shawn pagen posted up today

"Okay here is what I have found out talking to Ed Householder & Adam Mehlberg:

The Bunce School Trail is adopted by Big Thompson 4 Wheelers. Ed Householder being the primary contact.

The Park Creek project has been on the SOPA list for the Boulder Ranger district for the last two quarters. I have emailed Cat to get a copy of the project documents twice and asked her at every BRDOHV meeting, no luck. At the June meeting they were suppose to be ready to send out, have not seen them. The project is a categorical exclusion so it does not have alternatives and comment periods.

The sand pit / play area is off of road 202, which is at the west end of the Bunce School road 115. It has been there since I moved to Colorado in 1982 and probably way before that.

The problems with keeping it open are the erosion that happens, the creek that flows into it some times, the fact that it is and open area on the forest when all routes must now be designated.

The sand box is also in a non-motorized prescription on the forest from the 1984 forest plan and the 1997 forest plan.

1997 forest plan:

"Motorized travel will be featured on several existing 4WD routes.

Possible candidates for retention include the Middle St. Vrain, Coney Flats, and Rock Creek challenge routes. Most of the trails in the area will be retained and new trail opportunities may be considered between Camp Dick and Allenspark. Closure and obliteration of the Park Creek and Cave Creek Road networks west of the Bunce School road may be undertaken to meet management area objectives for backcountry non-motorized recreation."

Big Thompson is very concerend about this closure and they would like to find a way to keep the area open - but provide services to close the hill climbs behind the area and keep the road open behind the area.

There are no playgrounds allowed any more, so the solution has to be designated linear corridors for the routes or Cat and team will be in violation of the Travel Rule.

I will try to call Cat Luna at Boulder Ranger District today to see about additional details.

- Shawn"

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I'm sorry, but i belong to several forums, and from the posts i've seen, many of the activities up there have been less than legit in my book.

there seems to have been lots of pressure from private owners up there. I completely see their point, and, while i'm sad to see another trail closed, if indeed this is a full closure, this one was asking for it.

Normally i'm not a pro closure, but this place ATTRACTED the WORST type of "offroader". It was pretty predictable. As mentioned, the raves, and there have been "raves" in the past, and worse. People driving EVERYWHERE! I talked to two people up there when my brother and i went up last year. They were COMPLETELY off trail, and were ramming a tree. Took pics and sent it to the PD. Unfortunetly, it didn't do much.

Sorry, but seen this one coming for a while.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
good point, but by closign this, that will push the dipsh%$s onto other trails which will then be closed for the same reason. next thing you know, there will be no trails at all.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
that is sad but true.

We'll see what comes of it.