Buff Creek to Medano Pass to Red River

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
Day 1:
Left work a bit early and we stayed in Buffalo Creek/Cheeseman Reservoir area. This area gets way more traffic than I like for camping, but it was accessible for friends w/ a car and close enough for them to Denver. Probably will shy away in the future.
IMG_20200605_183525.jpg

Day 2:
We drove down to Cripple creek, drove Shelf Road to Canyon City. From Canyon city we drove County Road 143 to Westcliffe. We drove south from there to Medano Pass into Sand Dunes NP. That was a pretty awesome drive. We were originally planning to camp around there, but we were way ahead of schedule so we went down to Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument. We took road H to road G and crossed the bridge to the west side of the Rio Grande. From there we kinda lost our phone GPS (this is something I need to fix). Anyway we meandered south, found an awesome campsite.

Driving into Medano Pass:
IMG_20200606_144114.jpg

Near Medano Pass:
IMG_20200606_144244.jpg

Campsite:
IMG_20200607_095237.jpg

Day 3:
We drove from our campsite down to the John Dunn Bridge to cross the Rio Grande. We went down to Taos, did a bit of hiking on the shoulder of the ski resort. Then made our way to a campsite just north of red river up the Mallette Canyon.
IMG_20200607_102210.jpg

Day 4:
There is all kinds of cool wheeling around Red River as it turns out. We drove up to Goose Lake - this was awesome. It was kinda busy w/ rental side-by-sides which is kind of a PITA, but not too bad. The alpine lake was really neat to throw a few casts into. Theres a pretty fun water crossing at the bottom of this route that filters out the faint of heart.
IMG_1434.JPG

Day 5:
We drove up Greenie Peak then down to the Lagunita Saddle down to Cabresto Lake. Lots of cool stuff to see around here and very little traffic. The view from the summit of Greenie was pretty epic.
IMG_20200609_132023.jpg

I've gotta work on taking more action shots.

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_093237.jpg
    IMG_20200607_093237.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 188

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Is that your V8 swapped 80? If so how'd it do?

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
Is that your V8 swapped 80? If so how'd it do?

Yep! Its quite a bit better than the old motor/trans. The shifts are significantly smoother while wheeling. The increase in power is also very noticeable. Passing people now is no problem at all.

I've noticed a few weird noises coming from the transmission, but I think it's just because I have a much stiffer mount than the factory configuration. It is possible that something is acting weird, but i'm not sure. I replaced the strainer and fluid w/ valvoline maxlife which is compatible with toyota WS and T-IV. I originally had WS in there and it wasn't as loud. Maybe this fluid is different slightly?

I also have the LSPV bracket on the axle hitting my exhaust. So I think I'm just going to delete the LSPV, maybe just cut the long arm and take off the bracket. Then somehow fix the lever in place so I can adjust the brake bias.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Get a manual proportioning valve.
I deleted mine and the abs. It brakes much better now.

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
Yea I've been thinking about going that route too. I just got done doing all the brake lines though.

Ok. I'll get a manual one.

I gotta figure out some more stuff for my electronic control of the transmission. I can only seem to shift mechanically to gears 3 and 2 or something. I think the original system had a gate shifter, but the FSM has all of the switch signals coming from the switch on the side of the transmission. Not a huge deal, but I'd take a little more engine braking if I could get it.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
WS is full synthetic and slightly less viscous at lower temperatures than T-IV.

Attachments

• ATF_spec_WS_graph.png
    ATF_spec_WS_graph.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 183

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
Thanks Steve - I have a few conflicting discussions regarding the type of fluid which goes in a 2003 Land Cruiser's A750f. On one hand I have seen that if the transmission has no dipstick it must be WS. On the other I have read in a toyota document that the 2003 land cruiser is supposed to have T-IV. So I ultimately settled on valvoline maxlife which is compatible w/ both. I'm not sure.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
My ‘03 Cruiser is spec’d for the T-IV and I have been using the Valvoline Maxlife without problem.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Day 1:
Left work a bit early and we stayed in Buffalo Creek/Cheeseman Reservoir area. This area gets way more traffic than I like for camping, but it was accessible for friends w/ a car and close enough for them to Denver. Probably will shy away in the future.
View attachment 86466

Day 2:
We drove down to Cripple creek, drove Shelf Road to Canyon City. From Canyon city we drove County Road 143 to Westcliffe. We drove south from there to Medano Pass into Sand Dunes NP. That was a pretty awesome drive. We were originally planning to camp around there, but we were way ahead of schedule so we went down to Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument. We took road H to road G and crossed the bridge to the west side of the Rio Grande. From there we kinda lost our phone GPS (this is something I need to fix). Anyway we meandered south, found an awesome campsite.

Driving into Medano Pass:
View attachment 86472

Near Medano Pass:
View attachment 86473

Campsite:
View attachment 86468

Day 3:
We drove from our campsite down to the John Dunn Bridge to cross the Rio Grande. We went down to Taos, did a bit of hiking on the shoulder of the ski resort. Then made our way to a campsite just north of red river up the Mallette Canyon.
View attachment 86469

Day 4:
There is all kinds of cool wheeling around Red River as it turns out. We drove up to Goose Lake - this was awesome. It was kinda busy w/ rental side-by-sides which is kind of a PITA, but not too bad. The alpine lake was really neat to throw a few casts into. Theres a pretty fun water crossing at the bottom of this route that filters out the faint of heart.
View attachment 86470

Day 5:
We drove up Greenie Peak then down to the Lagunita Saddle down to Cabresto Lake. Lots of cool stuff to see around here and very little traffic. The view from the summit of Greenie was pretty epic.
View attachment 86471

I've gotta work on taking more action shots.
Dang, saw you on Saturday. Drove right past our camp. We were in site 4.5 on Medano. Silver 4Runner and a taco with 4wc.

FunkyYota

Rising Sun Member
Dang, saw you on Saturday. Drove right past our camp. We were in site 4.5 on Medano. Silver 4Runner and a taco with 4wc.

Awesome. Very cool area - the winds around there were pretty strong. I had to hack up a blown down aspen on the western side of the pass. Were you the group with the other 80?

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Awesome. Very cool area - the winds around there were pretty strong. I had to hack up a blown down aspen on the western side of the pass. Were you the group with the other 80?
No. Just the two trucks. Saw lots of nice Toyota’s out that weekend.