• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

bubbles in oil??

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
searching for bubbles on MUD gave me hundreds of threads about bubbles in the overflow tank. On my way back from Moab I stopped for gas, had been cruising at 80-90mph for a couple of hours. When I checked the oil. there were bubbles on the dipstick. It was a little darker than I expected, but then again the lighter color of the bubbles threw me. I will check it again after it has cooled down, but what could this be?? Thanks!

T

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
hmm...it was low last night in Moab...added a quart when I aired up. just checked it now and it was fine.....

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Timm,

I'm absolutely no help other than trying to help you search for an answer :)

I too came up pretty empty in MUD so I did a Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=bubb...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Answers ranged from no worries to HG leak...Do you notice any of the other signs of a HG failure? Check under your oil cap for instance?

Could be nothing and maybe a real early sign that the HG is going :( - I'm one of those that is paranoid of a HG failure. Not on my LX (extended warranty so I'm actually hoping it does go and soon) but on the 80. That is my :Princess:'s DD and I'm not sure she'd catch the problem in time to avoid serious damage...

timmbuck2

RS Club TLCA Delegate
Cruise Moab Committee
yeah. kinda scared me about a HG prob, but no other symptoms, and only 120k on the clock I am not too concerned about that yet. Hmm...

Thanks.

T

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Oil has detergents in it. All impurities will create foam. I wouldn't worry about it right now and see if any other issues might show up. Watch for foam or sludge on the bottom of the oil fill cap and make sure the PCV valve is working. Most likely you don't have a problem. HG's on Cruisers seem to always begin with coolant leaks then ending with blown fire ring in #5 or 6. The problem seems to come from the gasket soft sealing compound breaking down from the coolant. As it decays and washes out it starts to leak coolant. Once it starts leaking coolant it washes out more material faster thus weakening the fire ring which results in compression blowing it out. (fire ring refers to the folded metal "ring" built into the HG that surrounds the combustion chamber)

rover67

Rising Sun Member
if it were a HG leak the oil would be milky....